Burnside is an established and recognized provider of quality services in engineering and environmental consulting. In addition to conventional engineering disciplines, we have specialized experience in various technical fields including water resources, site remediation, energy efficiency, solid waste management, environmental impact assessment and geomatics. Our firm Well Initiatives provides long-term maintenance and sustainability of ground water supply wells for Municipalities and residential drilling services.
Simply put, our reason for being is to provide value and service to our clients. In itself that statement doesn’t make Burnside different from many in our industry. However, the longevity and loyalty of many of our wonderful clients, in addition to our remarkable staff suggest that the way we conduct ourselves does set us apart from others. Bringing the right set of skill, judgment and expertise to solve our clients’ needs is only one part of the equation.
Being able to listen and relate to what our clients are really saying is the part that we take the most pride in. And we wouldn’t be able to operate in such a people-focused manner with our clients if we weren’t already working this way with each other. Ever since Bob Burnside founded the company from his kitchen table in 1970, our emphasis has been on integrity, honesty and care for one another. This approach is reflected in our Corporate Values and Practices, (which we’d be pleased to show you if you come by one of our offices!) and it provides a touchstone for us on how we act as a company committed to value, teamwork, humility and long-term relationships.
Whether you are a prospective client or prospective ‘member of the family’, we invite you to see for yourself why, at Burnside, the difference is our people.
Bob Burnside, P.Eng., forms the company from his kitchen table. The firm was incorporated in 1970 to provide consulting engineering services to Municipalities, Aboriginal Communities and Private clients. Initially, engineering efforts focused on services in water resource management. Progressively, the firm broadened the range of professional skills available to clients.
Culture can be a very difficult thing to describe, especially for those who live in it day to day. We believe that the beliefs, approaches and behaviours that define the Burnside culture are unique. We are a firm that puts people first – our people, our clients, and more broadly our communities. Reading through some of the material on our site should give you a glimpse into the culture put into practice. You will see:
- A firm with a strong belief around continual improvement. Our Junior Training and Leadership Development programs are ongoing investments in our people.
- We strive for regular and open communication. We share performance updates and financial information with our staff through office meetings and our internal newsletter “The Connector”.
- Two way communication. Communication back from staff is also very important to us. Our annual Employee Satisfaction survey gives us a sense of what our people are thinking and where we need to focus our efforts in the coming year. We use this to develop an annual action plan that becomes a regular discussion item in our office meetings and The Connector.
- Sharing in our success. At Burnside we continually work to be a meritocracy. As part of this we have a formalized profit sharing plan. This incentive is based on the firm’s success and each individual’s personal success.
- Having fun and giving back. We are very serious about our work but also know the importance of balance. Social activities are a regular part of the experience in each of our offices. We also try to give back in our local communities in many different ways.
- In the coming weeks we will start to share interviews with a wide selection of our team. Hearing in their words why they came to Burnside and what they have experienced should give you even more insight into our culture.