SedNet is a European network aimed at incorporating sediment issues and knowledge into European strategies to support the achievement of a good environmental status and to develop new tools for sediment management. Our focus is on all sediment quality and quantity issues on a river basin scale, ranging from freshwater to estuarine and marine sediments. SedNet brings together experts from science, administration and industry. It interacts with the various networks in Europe that operate at a national or international level or that focus on specific fields (such as science, policy making, sediment management, industry, education).
Sediment and its management
Sediment is an essential, integral and dynamic part of our river basins, estuaries and seas. Where human activities interfere with sediment quantity or quality, sediment management may become necessary. Effective and sustainable sediment management requires a holistic approach taking into account:
- System understanding;
- Integrated management of soil, water and sediment;
- Transboundary cooperation;
- Upstream-downstream interrelationships; and
- Stakeholder involvement.
In our network, we bring together sediment professionals from science, administration, management, NGOs, consultancy and industry. We interact with various networks and organizations (see Organization), especially in Europe, that operate at national or international level and focus on sediment, soil and water and in fields such as science, policy making, management, industry, education etc. We welcome anyone to share and cooperate according to our vision.
Our mission is to be a leading European network aimed at incorporating sediment issues and knowledge into relevant European and national policies (see picture) in order to support the achievement of good environmental status and to develop and facilitate the implementation of new tools for sediment management.
We focus on all sediment quality and quantity issues – and their impact on ecosystem functioning – ranging from freshwater, at local to river basin scale, to estuarine and marine sediments.
We aime to:
- Contribute to the further development of a holistic understanding of sediments and their management;
- Be a multidisciplinary platform for communication and education about sediment management and the needs for future action (either in policy making, management or research);
- Be the main contact / information point for the European Commission on sediment related questions in relation to sediment related European policies (see picture).
We initiate, support and/or organize several activities, such as:
- Conferences in which we bring together sediment experts from science, management, industry and consultancy.
- Workshops on special topics, such as Round Table discussions on River Basin Sediment Management. In these workshops invited experts participate. The outcome is published on our website and through relevant media.
- Written position and policy statements on special topics after internal consultation within the network.
- E-newsletter about sediment related activities, publications, etc. The whole SedNet community is invited to provide input. We aim to produce four electronic newsletters annually.
- Website which is our main information platform. It provides a data base containing all kinds of information about sediment related topics as well as all SedNet documents. The whole SedNet community is invited to provide input.
- Training courses: we are open to cooperate with, and support anyone who organizes training or education courses that support our vision.
This section of the website describes who SedNet is. It subsequently describes how we regard sediment and its management and it describes our identity, mission, focus, aims, activities (see Objectives) and our organization (see Organization).
Cooperating networks and organisations you can find under Cooperation.
SedNet is an open network. Any individual who is professionally occupied with sediment can participate in the SedNet activities. Participation is a personal responsibility and encompasses that you share and (co)operate according to the SedNet vision on sediment and its management. If you want to stay informed about SedNet activities, then please send an email to the SedNet secretariat.
A Steering Group and a Secretariat support SedNet’s work. Steering Group members are individuals from administration, science, authorities, consultancy, etc. Some of these institutions and companies financially support the network (see below).
SedNet cooperates with several other networks and organizations (see Cooperation).