Skanska is one of the world`s leading construction groups with expertise in construction, development of commercial and residential projects and public-private partnerships. Throughout the United States the operating units of Skanska USA Civil are constructing complex rail transportation projects, road and rail tunnels, highways, bridges, power generation facilities, wastewater treatment plants and combined sewer overflow facilities. Our market sectors also include dams and flood control structures as well as mining, land development and soil remediation.
Find locations served, office locations, manufacturers and our distributors.
- Business Type:
- Service provider
- Industry Type:
- Market Focus:
- Globally (various continents)
- Year Founded:
- Over 1000
- more than $1,000,000,000 US
This company also provides solutions for other industrial applications.
Please, visit the following links for more info:
Skanska in Brief
Skanska is one of the world’s leading project development and construction groups, with expertise in construction, development of commercial and residential projects as well as public-private partnerships. We create sustainable solutions and aim to be a leader in quality, green construction, work safety and business ethics.
Our mission is to develop, build and maintain the physical environment for living, traveling and working.
Skanska shall be a leader in its home markets - the customer's first choice - in construction and project development.
Targets and Values
We create sustainable solutions and aim to be a leader in quality, green construction, work safety and business ethics. We also aim to maximize the potential of Skanska with regard to returns, see Financial and qualitative targets.
Skanska's values are based on our Code of Conduct and expressed in the qualitative targets of our five zeros:
- Zero loss-making projects
- Zero environmental incidents
- Zero work site accidents
- Zero ethical breaches
- Zero defects
Read more on Our targets.
Organization and Markets
Skanska is one of the world's ten largest construction companies, employing 57,000 employees in selected home markets in Europe (Sweden, Norway, Finland, Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, UK), the US and Latin America.
The single largest home market in Skanska is USA, followed by Sweden. Read more on Our organization and Our geographic markets.
President and CEO
Johan Karlström has been President and CEO since 2008. The CEO and the eight Executive Vice Presidents form the Senior Executive Team.
Chairman of the Board
Stuart E. Graham has been the Chairman of the Board since April 2012.
Skanska's operations are divided into four business units:
- Construction - Skanska's largest business stream, including residential and non-residential and building construction in the Nordic countries, Central Europe, the UK, the US and Latin America. Collaboration with the Group's other business streams and the Company's collective financial resources enable Skanska to take on large, complicated projects where few competitors can measure up its expertise and strength.
- Residential Development - invests in and develops homes for sale directly to consumers in the Nordic countries, Czech Republic. Skanska is also starting up Residential Development in the U.K. and Poland.
- Commercial Property Development - invests in and develops Green Commercial Property projects for leasing and divestment in Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Poland, the Czech Republic, Hungary and the US.
- Infrastructure Development - develops and invests in public-private partnership (PPP) projects in the Nordic countries, Central Europe and Latin America.
For more information about our operations, see Our services.
Our largest shareholders in percent of voting rights are Industrivärden, Lundberg Group and Alecta. Read more about our Ownership structure.
The origin of the company dates back to 1887 when aktiebolaget Skånska Cementgjuteriet was established and started by manufacturing concrete products. Our first international operations were established in 1897. In the mid-1950s the company made a major move into the international market, entering South America, Asia and Africa. The two latter continents are no longer a part of the Skanska group. In 1971 the company entered the US market.
The company was listed on the Stockholm Stock Exchange A-list 1965. In 1984 Skanska became the Group's official name.
Read more and see the We are Skanska film, produced in connection with Skanska's 125th anniversary in 2012, and the film about Skanska's history on Our history.
Skanska is headquartered just outside Stockholm, Sweden, and the share is listed on the NASDAQ OMX Exchange Stockholm. For more information about the share, visit Share performance.
In December 2010 Skanska launched its Profitable Growth Business Plan, aimed at growing Construction and Project Development, establishing Skanska as a leader in Safety, Ethics, People Development, Green and Risk Management.
Vision of Skanska in 2015
- In Construction, we have grown faster than the market, with strong capital efficiency and best-in-class operating margins.
- Project Development is a bigger part of our business; we have reinforced our presence in existing regions, and entered new ones.
- We are a recognized market leader in Safety with an LTAR of 1.0.
- We are recognized as a role model in Ethics.
- We are recognized as a leader in People Development.
- We are a recognized market leader in Green.
- Our increased focus on opportunities is coupled with world-class Risk Management.
Build on the strength of One Skanska
We will step up the pace of the financial synergies
Having both Construction and Project Development operations, Skanska has a powerful business model that generates financial synergies.
The cash generated by our Construction units is not only distributed to our shareholders, but is also invested in our Project Development streams (Residential Development, Commercial Property Development and Infrastructure Development). These generate high returns and they also bring new projects back to the Construction units.
This is a smart way to leverage on our strong balance sheet; we use the money many times, with an unrivalled return on investment. Increased financial synergies are a key ingredient for Profitable Growth.
We will use our financial strength and combined experience
We can make business out of the fact that we are One Skanska. Belonging to a financially strong group makes it possible to bid for, and take on, projects that no Business Unit could handle alone. Using our combined experience – our reference projects and experts in key areas such as Healthcare, Green, Risk Management, Bundled Construction, Design/Build, BIM, etc. – gives us an unbeatable competitive advantage. It is up to us to act upon the opportunities provided by being Skanska – One Skanska.
A leader in Safety
We simply cannot accept accidents and fatalities. Our intention is clear – we want to set new standards in all our home markets when it comes to safety. To do so, we must build a non-blaming culture, in which it is natural to report incidents, so that we, in turn, can learn from them. Everyone, not least our managers, plays a role in creating this learning organization.
A leader in Ethics
Our Code of Conduct and Our Five Zeros are the basis for everything we do – today and in the years to come. Ethical breaches are identified as the number 1 risk to Skanska – a breach in one market can ruin our reputation and business worldwide.
A leader in People Development
We can only deliver Profitable Growth with the right people on board. It is vital to attract and recruit talents, and to ensure that our new employees live by our values. For this, we rely on our existing stars; we must ensure that our key people feel recognized and developed.
A leader in Green
The demand for green solutions is ever-growing. We are determined to drive the development in our industries and make good business out of it. We are on the right track; what we need to do is to make use of our combined experience and market our green expertise.
Excelling in Risk Management
During recent years, we have strengthened our Risk Management, which has opened the door for Profitable Growth. As we grow the company we need to put even stronger emphasis on Risk Management. We will not only focus on projects' early phases, but on the entire process.
We take pride in ourselves and our strong values, that are made up by our Code of Conduct and the qualitative targets of our five zeros vision. Our culture is based on respect, openness and honesty.
Code of Conduct
Our Code of Conduct guides us on how we behave and interact, internally and externally. In the right-hand column, you will find a link to our Code of Conduct in pdf.
Five zeros vision
- Our qualitative targets are expressed in the five zeros vision:
- Zero environmental incidents
- Zero work-site accidents
- Zero ethical breaches
- Zero defects
- Zero loss-making projects
Culture built on respect, openness and honesty
- Our values are central - they permeate our culture and everything we do across the world.
- Just as our values are key, so are our vital processes and procedures. But our business is decentralized. Our employees are entrusted with great responsibilities. Many projects are as large as an independent enterprise.
- With a culture based on respect, openness and honesty and a team of cooperative and high-performing people, you will never be on your own.