The Society for Conservation Biology (SCB) is an international professional organization dedicated to promoting the scientific study of the phenomena that affect the maintenance, loss, and restoration of biological diversity. The Society`s membership comprises a wide range of people interested in the conservation and study of biological diversity: resource managers, educators, government and private conservation workers, and students make up the more than 10,000 members world-wide.
The Society for Conservation Biology envisions a world where people understand, value, and conserve the diversity of life on Earth. We envision SCB, a global community of conservation professionals, as a leading scientific voice for the study and conservation of Earth's biological diversity.
The Society for Conservation Biology advances the science and practice of conserving Earth's biological diversity.
The Society for Conservation Biology holds these values:
- There is intrinsic value in the natural diversity of organisms, the complexity of ecological systems, and the resilience created by evolutionary processes.
- Human-caused extinctions and the destruction and loss of function of natural ecosystems are unacceptable.
- Maintaining and restoring biological diversity are individual and collective responsibilities of humans.
- Science is critical for understanding how the natural world operates and how human actions affect nature.
- Collaboration among scientists, managers, and policy-makers is vital to incorporate high-quality science into policies and management decisions affecting biological diversity.
In service to the mission, vision, and values, we focus on these five goals:
- Advocate support for, and facilitate the creation and dissemination of, conservation science. Identify and support the scientific research needed to understand and conserve biological diversity. Appraise scientific outputs and disseminate the highest quality science.
- Increase application of science to management and policy. Directly inform management and policy at local, national, regional, and global levels with the highest quality science. Routinely and openly evaluate the effectiveness of management actions.
- Strengthen SCB's sections. SCB will encourage and support growth and development of its sections.
- Serve the interests of members. Identify, prioritize, and serve the needs and interests of current and potential SCB members.
- Build and maintain organizational capacity. Assess and expand the organizational capacity necessary to implement and sustain the programmatic goals and objectives that advance our vision and mission.