Society for Mining, Metallurgy, and Exploration (SME)
The Society for Mining, Metallurgy & Exploration Inc. (SME) is a professional society (nonprofit 501(c)(3) corporation) whose membership represents all professionals serving the minerals industry in more than 85 countries. SME members include engineers, geologists, metallurgists, educators, students and researchers. SME advances the worldwide minerals community through information exchange and professional development. SME`s staff of 51 are located in Englewood, Colorado.
SME divisions play an active role in SME governance, and they support the SME mission in a multitude of ways:
- Their representatives serve on the SME Board of Directors;
- They lend technical support to the Society by participating in SME committees;
- They create and organize meetings and symposia to address topical subjects;
- They administer SME scholarships and awards; and
- They review book proposals for SME publishing.
As a 501 (c) 3 non-profit, the Mission of theSME Foundation is to be the source of funding for education and outreach of SME and the community it serves.