The International Water Association (IWA) is the global network of 10,000 water professionals spanning the continuum between research and practice and covering all facets of the water cycle. Through its network of members and experts in research, practice, regulation, industry, consulting and manufacturing, IWA is in a better position than any other organisation to help water professionals create innovative, pragmatic and sustainable solutions to challenging global needs.
Water underpins every aspect of human and environmental existence. The severe water challenges facing the world today require an unprecedented global response. IWA members and staff are situated in 130 countries worldwide, forming the largest international network of water professionals working towards a water wise world.
Innovative, solutions- and service- oriented, we work across a range of areas that contribute to the progression of water management worldwide. Our programmes develop research and projects focused on solutions for water and wastewater management; we organise world-class events that bring the latest science, technology and best practice to the water sector at large; we work to place water on the global political agenda and to influence best practice in regulation and policy making; and we provide services to IWA’s global membership.
The International Water Association (IWA) is an organisation that brings together people from across the water profession to deliver equitable and sustainable water solutions for our world.
Towards a world in which water is wisely managed to satisfy the needs of human activities and ecosystems in an equitable and sustainable way.
To inspire change and service IWA members, the community of professionals concerned with water, external organisation and opinion leaders in being the international reference and global source of knowledge, experience and leadership for sustainable urban and basin-related water solutions.
- Connecting People: We bring people of the highest caliber together to share knowledge, experience and know- how about the most pressing water challenges and innovative solutions.
- Pioneering Science: We contribute to water science and technology by stimulating leading edge science and inventions, and helping scientists connect to their peers, publish their latest findings and help others learn with them.
- Innovating Technology: We offer support and recognition to innovators in the world of water as technological innovations are key to changing the future of water.
- Leading Practice: We develop and promote best practices and international frameworks and standards, supporting transitions to sustainable practices.
- Inclusive: we are inclusive and embrace the diversity of our membership and participants, bringing together people from around the world and from a wide range of professions who are concerned with the future of water.
- Science & Practice-Based: we are scienceand practice-based, exploring the frontiers of science, technology and practice and bringing to life leadingedge, pragmatic and innovative solutions for urban and basin-wide water and sanitation challenges.
- Service Oriented: we provide outstanding services that support and inspire our members, participants, partners and others and help them to be successful in realizing our common goals.
- Excellence: we look for and promote excellence and leadership in all aspects of water management, in conducting our activities and delivering results.
- This is how we inspire change to achieve our common vision.
- Our Strategic Plan 2014-2018 sets out the objectives that we have set out for the coming few years. Check our Governance page.