The Society for the Environment is the body responsible for the registration of environmental professionals. We are the custodian of the Chartered Environmentalist and Registered Environmental Technician registers, and since 2004 have established a sound platform as the body tasked with championing and registering the expertise of environmental professionals. Working as a partnership with 24 Licensed Bodies, we ensure the quality, relevance and awareness of our registrations and enabling our partners and registrants to work together. We are in a unique position, bringing together a range of disciplines and sectors to reflect the multi-disciplinary practice of environmental professionals.
Sustainability Through Environmental Professionalism
We have registered over 9,000 environmental professionals to date and new registrants are continuing to join the register year on year. The Society has also recognised exceptional contributions of over 70 individuals by awarding them Honorary Fellowships of the Society.
The Society operates under a Royal Charter which mandates us to promote the advancement of, the dissemination of, knowledge of, and education in good environmental practice for the public benefit.
The Society for the Environment was established by Royal Charter in September 2004 with the object to promote the advancement of, the dissemination of, knowledge of, and education in good environmental practice for the public benefit.
The word “Chartered” is important. Royal Charters are granted to professional institutions only if they can demonstrate high levels of professional skill and experience among their members, and have long been recognised as a hallmark of professionalism in the UK. The Society for the Environment is able to license professional institutions to assess their members for the award of Chartered Environmentalist status, disseminating these high-level skills across the many sectors.
The object for which the Society constituted is to promote the advancement of, the dissemination of, knowledge of, and education in good environmental practice for the public benefit.
In pursuance of the Object, the Society shall:
- provide a forum for discussion and exchange of information relevant to the Object;
- provide advice and respond to proposals and enquiries relating to the advancement and the regulation of good environmental practice and where appropriate collaborate with other bodies;
- establish and keep under review generic standards and procedures for academic and occupational achievement, competence and commitment and the requirements for initial and continuing professional development for registrants;
- designate as Licensed Bodies those Constituent Bodies which (a) demonstrate to the satisfaction of the Registration Authority their competence to assess individuals for initial and continuing registration and (b) regulate the conduct of their individual members; license such bodies to admit individuals to a register; monitor the additions and deletions the Licensed Bodies make to such register; and provide guidance on the codes of conduct and disciplinary procedures of such Licensed Bodies;
- be accountable to its Licensed and Associate Professional Bodies in respect of its activities.
Our Vision is Sustainability through environmental professionalism.
We exist to promote the advancement of, the dissemination of, knowledge of, and education in good environmental practice for the public benefit.
We aim to focus the expertise of our member organisations in order to deliver a sustainable future for everyone.
We will champion better public understanding of environmental management, sustainable best practice and sustainable development.
The Society aspires to be the leading and co-ordinating professional body in environmental matters and a pre-eminent champion of a sustainable environment.
The Society will achieve this by nurturing and harnessing the combined resources, knowledge, expertise and achievements of the professional and learned bodies which are its Members.
Read our Strategy to 2020, and how we will achieve this, below.