Water Environment Research Foundation
The Water Environment Research Foundation is a nonprofit scientific research organization dedicated to wastewater and stormwater issues. WERF manages cutting edge research on nutrient reduction and recovery, endocrine disruptors and other organics in wastewater liquids and biosolids, energy optimization, stormwater management, utility infrastructure, pathogens, and the new paradigm for decentralized wastewater treatment. WERF is also tackling the climate change implications -- in both mitigation and adaption -- for wastewater treatment.
Find locations served, office locations
- Business Type:
- Research institute
- Industry Type:
- Water and Wastewater
- Market Focus:
- Globally (various continents)
- Year Founded:
- 1,000,000 - 10,000,000 €
The Water Environment Research Foundation, formed in 1989, is America’s leading independent scientific research organization dedicated to wastewater and stormwater issues. For more than 20 years we have produced hundreds of research reports, valued at more than $100 million.
We are a nonprofit organization that operates with funding from subscribers and the federal government. Our subscribers include wastewater treatment plants, stormwater utilities, and regulatory agencies. Industry, equipment companies, engineers and environmental consultants also lend their support and expertise as subscribers. WERF takes a progressive approach to research, stressing collaboration among teams of subscribers, environmental professionals, scientists, and staff. All research is peer reviewed by leading experts.
What makes WERF research stand out within the water quality community? In a word: results.
- Results that provide value to our subscribers
- Results that transmit reliable information as quickly as possible – without cutting scientific corners
- Results that spur the next generation of science and technology
The wastewater and stormwater industry spends a fraction of what other industries spend on research and development. WERF is the only organization in the United States that focuses specifically on producing the peer-reviewed science necessary to face the challenges that will define the future of water quality. As a WERF subscriber, you will play a key role in addressing these challenges and have access to many other benefits.
- Free WERF Products — Subscribing agencies/organizations are entitled to one free copy of all WERF final products (reports, software, online interactive tools), and have unlimited access to PDF versions of all final reports, workshop proceedings, and online communities of practice are available through WERF's website.
- Complimentary Workshop and Seminar Registration — Subscribers receive complimentary registration for WERF workshops and seminars at WEFTEC, as well as other specialty meetings and web seminars held throughout the year.
- Input into WERF’s Research Agenda — WERF research topics are identified by subscribers through a number of venues. Throughout the year, subscribers identify key challenges and strategies for effective and timely solutions.
- Test Site Participation — Subscribers are given priority to participate as test sites in all WERF-funded projects. This opportunity gives subscribers access to developing technologies and processes that may not be available to the public for several years.
- Targeted Collaborative Research (TCR) Opportunities — WERF's TCR program facilitates cooperation among subscribers and other organizations to initiate projects or expand research that is of specific interest to them. Subscribers can harness WERF’s effective cost leveraging ability through this program.
- Exclusive Research Findings — Subscribers have access to WERF’s total research portfolio valued at over $75 million, with $40 million of ongoing research accessible only to subscribers. More timely information gives subscribers a competitive advantage.
- Networking — Subscribers can connect with other water quality professionals and receive full recognition as a supporter of WERF. WERF offers many community resources for subscribers such as technical discussion groups, list serves, seminars, and workshops.
- Credibility — WERF research enjoys high credibility within the industry and regulatory communities because of the inclusiveness and transparency of our research process. Our proven peer-review program, which involves thousands of hours of in-kind volunteer expertise, provides objective oversight for every research project.
- Leveraging — Rates of return produce nearly $4 in research for every subscriber dollar received, as a result of federal matching funds, other cooperative funding, and in-kind contributions. Nearly 90% of WERF’s annual budget supports water quality research.