The Water Industry Operators Association of Australia (WIOA) is a rapidly expanding national Association with a primary role of facilitating the collection, development and exchange of quality information between people undertaking operational roles in the water industry.
WIOA is an Incorporated Association and invites Membership from any persons responsible for carrying out the whole, or part operation and maintenance of any facet of the Water Industry. Members may be derived from the Private or Public Sector.
The WIOA has a comprehensive Constitution with the key objectives being:
- Promoting standards of education and training to ensure efficiency and competency of members
- Preservation of clean waterways and protection of Public Health and the environment
- Accumulation and distribution of information on all aspects of the Water Industry
The WIOA has close ties with the following Water Industry bodies:
- Various State Government Department in Vic, Qld & NSW
- Government Skills Australia and their Water Industry Advisory Committee (WIAC)
- Various Registered Training Organisations (RTO's) in all Australian States
- Australian Water Association (AWA)
- Water Services Association of Australia (WSAA)
- Water Industry Education and Training Association of Australia (WIETAA)
- Various trade and consulting companies supplying equipment and services to the industry
The Association organises and funds Member seminars to meet the objectives of continually upgrading knowledge. These seminars are informative and topical given the ongoing changes to the structure of, and technologies employed in, the water industry.
WIOA is a member of Government Skills Australia's (GSA) Water Industry Advisory Committee (WIAC) and has been actively involved in the review and developement of the Water Training Package. Recently we have assisted with drafting and developing new Units of Competence for various technical areas of Certificate IV.
The WIOA regularly produces two publications. These are a twice yearly journal entitled 'WaterWorks' and a quarterly newsletter entitled 'Operator'. In addition, Members receive a monthly e-news 'Words' designed to keep everyone up to speed with water industry and Association developments.