Summer Course on WTO and EU Trade Law
This summer course will provide participants with comprehensive knowledge of the fundamentals of WTO and EU trade law. The course will focus on case-studies, applying instruments and concepts learned during the presentations to trade law practice.
- Event Type:
- Workshops/Training Courses
- Jul. 6-10, 2020
- Trier , Germany
- Essential features of substantive WTO law: MFN and national treatment; tariff and non-tariff barriers; general and security exceptions; impact of human rights, environmental protection and sustainable development
- Concrete operation of the WTO dispute settlement mechanism
- The reform of EU trade defence instruments and the proposed new EU methodology for dumping calculation: key features and novelties
- Implementing the new Union Customs Code: main changes and challenges
- Assessing key EU free trade agreements: evolution, adoption procedure (EU’s exclusive or shared competence) and internal structure
- Dispute settlement mechanisms in EU FTAs: Trade Barrier Regulation (TBR), Investor-State Dispute Settlement (ISDS) and Investment Court System (ICS)
The course is aimed at lawyers in private practice, in-house counsel, EU officials, national civil servants and other legal practitioners seeking an introduction to WTO and EU Trade Law.