Evapco - Model SSTDB Series - Dual-Coil, Low-Profile Evaporators
SSTDB dual-coil, low-profile evaporators make it easy to overcome both height restrictions and dual-airflow challenges without sacrificing performance or convenience. Ideal for cooler and freezer applications, SSTDB models offer improved accessibility features, clean cabinet/pan design and corrosion inhibiting materials of construction.
- Constructed with heavy wall, 5/8 inch OD, Stainless Steel tubing featuring CrossCool™ Internal Tube Enhancement
- Standard Aluminum Fin construction featuring ChannelFlow™ Fin Technology as standard (available with 3.3, 4.3, and 6 fins per inch)
- Optimized recirculation rate of 1.2:1.0 significantly reduces system refrigerant charge
- Heavy-duty sheet metal fans, with cast aluminum fan blades available for low-temperature applications
- Low sound fan motors ranging from ½ horsepower to 3 horsepower in 870 and 1160 RPM
- G-235 hot dip galvanized steel casing and dual-sloped drain pan
- Hygienic cabinet design
- Easy installation
- Can be constructed for blow-through and draw-through configurations
- Interconnecting piping between coils
- Rated in accordance with AHRI Standard 420
Warm room air is drawn into the evaporator across the cooling coil. Refrigerant is circulated through the coil of the evaporator. Heat from the air is absorbed by the refrigerant through the coil tubes causing a portion of the refrigerant to evaporate. The air is cooled as it travels through the coil and is discharged into the room.
Optimized Coil DesignHeat Exchanger Coil
The coil tube diameter, geometry, and circuiting have been optimized through thousands of hours of theoretical modeling and laboratory testing.
- Through the use of computational fluid dynamics (CFD) modeling software, finite heat transfer analysis, and proprietary coil performance calculation methods, EVAPCO engineers have identified significant design elements to improve the finned coil performance
- The circuiting program used on all Evapco coils has been optimized based on actual coil operation in EVAPCO's world class research laboratory
The result is optimal heat transfer efficiency with low airside pressure drop and low motor horsepower per ton.
Innovative Coil TechnologyCrossCool
All SSTDB Series stainless steel tubes feature CrossCool, an internally embossed design that improves the internal film coefficient for more efficient heat transfer, resulting in:
- Reduced refrigerant charge
- Reduced refrigerant pump horsepower
- Lower operating cost
- Smaller line sizes and reduced overall installation costs
EVAPCO’s patented enhanced aluminum fin technology is proven to minimize airside pressure drop while improving overall heat transfer performance, the unique fin design allows for free drainage of condensate during wet operation without water carryover.
Superior Stainless Steel Technology
SSTDB Series evaporators are constructed with high-grade type 304L stainless steel tubing and aluminum fins as standard.
- The stainless steel tubing meets the requirements of ASME B31.5 refrigerant piping code
- The SSTDB’s stainless steel tubes are available in 5/8 inch OD
- Coils are built in 3.3, 4.3, and 6 FPI as standard using a full-collar aluminum fin featuring EVAPCO’s fin technology
For applications where corrosion of the aluminum fin is a concern, EVAPCO offers pre-coated epoxy fin stock.
EVAPCO also offers high performance stainless steel fins for applications where coatings are not acceptable, including any installation near open food products and production areas.
Stronger Corrosion Protection
In SSTDB Series evaporators, casing and drain pans are constructed from G-235 hot dip galvanized steel with an option for type 304 stainless steel.
- G-235 is the highest level of mil galvanizing offered in the industry and exceeds the zinc protection that other manufacturers provide when using G-90 mil galvanized steel
- The higher level of galvanizing provides a greater level of corrosion protection for a longer product life
Efficient Evaporator Fans
EVAPCO’s extensive air side research and testing has identified fans with the best combination of efficiency and sound levels.Fans used in the SSTDB Series evaporators have performance curves generated in Evapco’s AMCA Fan Test Chamber, ensuring the fans perform as required to deliver the certified cooling effect and power ratings as stated in the equipment quotation and submitted data.
- Standard catalog models are selected to provide low sound levels
- EVAPCO’s low sound fan selections provide more comfort and a safer working environment for personnel entering the cold space
Durable Fan Motors
All SSTDB Series evaporators are supplied with totally enclosed air over (TEAO), foot-mounted fan motors with sealed bearings and low-temperature grease. Standard fan motors are suitable for operation on a variable frequency drive and range from ½ horsepower fractional motors to 3 horsepower, and are suitable for 230/460-volt, 3-phase,60-cycle applications.
- Standard motors are across-the-line start and operate at either 870 or 1160 RPM
- All 870 RPM motors up to 1 HP, all 1160 RPM motors up to 1-1/2 HP are equipped with automatic thermal overload protection
- All fan motors, including fractional horsepower fan motors, are foot-mounted for improved durability in a wide range of operating conditions
- All fan motors are pre-wired to a NEMA 4X junction box
Sloped Top Panels
Sloped top panels prevent accumulation of moisture from condensation or clean-up cycles.
Hygienic Drain Pans
Sloped in two directions to prevent water from pooling, the custom engineered drain pans in the SSTDB Series evaporators are also equipped with swaged bottom outlets to ensure complete drainage.
- Drain pans are factory mounted prior to shipment
- Drain pans are insulated as standard
Air Discharge Arrangements
Can be configured in draw through and blow through configurations.
- Air defrost with insulated drain pans.
- Water defrost with water distribution system and special drain pan to prevent water.
- Hot gas, coil only defrost with insulated drain pan.
Hot gas coil and pan with a hot gas coil under the inner drain pan:
- The unique design of the hot gas drain pan provides for highly efficient defrost
- Hot gas defrost units may be piped with either parallel feed to coil and drain pan or series flow from drain pan to coil
- Hot gas pan-to-coil piping includes a factory mounted check valve
Electric defrost featuring electric resistance heater elements with termination thermostat:
- Electric defrost options are sized based on room temperature.
- Electric pan heaters included for room temperatures below 32°F
- Electric defrost can be supplied with optional heater contactor
Fan motors on SSTDB Series evaporators are prewired to a terminal box as standard.
- Wiring on one- and two- fan models terminate with leads inside a NEMA 4X junction box
- For models with three or more fan motors, a terminal strip is included to which the motor leads are wired
Other electrical options include:
- Prewired to a terminal strip
- Prewired to a common non-fused disconnect
- Prewired to a disconnect with thermal overload protection
- Prewired to magnetic motor starter with disconnect
Optional motors are available:
- Multi-speed fan motors to match equipment capacity to reduce heat load requirements
- Washdown-duty fan motors for applications requiring Clean-In-Place or water clean-up cycles
Custom Coil Applications
EVAPCO offers a broad range of unit configurations along with engineering expertise and manufacturing capability to design and build virtually any type of non-cataloged custom coil or special unit. Simply contact your EVAPCO Representative to get started.
Coil and Fin Options
Coil and fin options include:
- Reheat coils for applications requiring humidity control; a separate heating coil is designed and circuited for refrigerant or an alternate heat source and is installed on the leaving air side of the cooling coil to heat the air to the desired temperature
- Flat fins constructed from 0.014 inch aluminum.
- Heavy fins constructed from 0.028 inch heavy gauge aluminum, making them 8-times stronger than the standard thickness fins, ideal for harsh environments and heavy frost applications
- Pre-coated epoxy fins to provide additional resistance to corrosion
- Canadian Registration Number (CRN) for Canadian applications
- High conductivity stainless steel fin
Drain Pan Options
Drain pan options include:
- Hot gas defrost drain pan featuring a unique tube design mechanically bonded to the underside of the pan liner and secured with a retaining plate; the hot gas coil design provides more heat transfer surface area and results in improved defrost performance with very low pressure drop
- Stainless Steel constructed drain pan, fully welded option available
- Inner pan liner, outer pan cover, or both
- Heat tracing (inner pan liner / outer pan cover)
- Oversized drain pan fabricated to be wider and/or longer than standard