Environmental control applications involving or exposed to combustible substances demand the use of specialized equipment to ensure operator safety and prevent explosions. For these scenarios, explosion-proof HVAC systems serve as an ideal solution. These systems find use in a wide range of industries, including aerospace, military, oil and gas, and pharmaceutical manufacturing. At Air Innovations, we design and manufacture custom explosion-proof HVAC systems that provide full temperature and humidity control. Our solutions are suitable for use in volatile ambient conditions and meet Class I, Division I and Class I, Division II standards.
The National Electrical Code (NEC), produced by the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) since 1897, provides the working definition for several equipment classifications, including explosion-proof. For equipment—including HVAC systems—to receive this rating, they must be able to contain any explosions that originate within their enclosure, effectively preventing them from causing a larger explosion.
Additional criteria include
• Meeting the temperature requirements of the operating environment (regarding combustible substances)
• Completing testing that verifies they meet all other requirements (with the verified classification indicated on the nameplate)
Industry professionals employ explosion-proof HVAC systems to improve safety conditions in workplace environments that are regularly exposed to flammable compounds, such as dust, gas/vapor, metal shavings, and other airborne particles. By using explosion-proof systems over standard systems, they reduce the risk of the compounds igniting and causing the spread of fire through the facility. Similar to standard HVAC equipment, these systems allow for temperature control and humidity control, but with the added benefit of tolerance for volatile materials.
Explosion-proof HVAC systems regularly find use in the following industries:
- In the aerospace and military/defense industries for ballistics and vehicle launches
- In the oil/gas and mining industries for extraction, processing, and refining operations
- In the milling industry for processing operations involving pulp and grains
- In the pharmaceutical and medical industries for product manufacturing operations
All of the above industries, among others, regularly perform activities in environments with volatile materials—e.g., fuel vapors in the aerospace and military/defense industries; gas, oil, and coke/coal dust in the oil/gas and mining industries; airborne fibers and organic material dust in the milling industry; chemical vapors in the medical and pharmaceutical industries. As any spark produced by equipment can result in catastrophe, it’s important all tools, devices, and systems—including HVAC systems—employed are designed and built to mitigate the risk of ignition and explosion.
The vast majority of companies—about 90%—that produce explosion-proof HVAC systems focus their efforts on standard, off-the-shelf products. At Air Innovations, we cater to the other 10%.
We design and manufacture custom systems for customers with unique needs that are not met by standard products. If a customer can’t find an adequate solution off-the-shelf, we have the experience and equipment necessary to provide them with an ideal HVAC system solution.
Our custom explosion-proof HVAC systems are designed to meet precise performance and packaging specifications, which include
• Temperature control: from -18° C to 38° C with tolerances as precise as +/- 0.02° C
• Humidity and dew point control: from 0.1% RH to 95% RH with control tolerances to +/- 0.5%
• Filtration: HEPA, ULPA, molecular
View our humidity control capabilities
Air Innovations explosion-proof HVAC systems can be designed to regulate temperature to tolerances as tight as ±0.02°C and humidity to 0.1% RH from very low humidity levels to 95%RH. Additionally, our conditioning systems can provide filtration HEPA, ULPA, molecular levels and more. View our full environmental control capabilities.
While standard, off-the-shelf solutions can often meet most HVAC system needs, there are several advantages of investing in one of our custom solutions. These include
• More innovative concept design and development
• Multi-disciplined engineering team approach
• Better quality guaranteed through prototyping and testing
• Greater flexibility in production quantities (from small to large runs)
• Regulatory submissions to proper authorities
• Broader warranty and serving support
• Capacity for global distribution
At Air Innovations, we specialize in custom explosion-proof HVAC solutions that meet the unique challenges of our customers. Our team of engineers dedicates themselves to preventing catastrophic events in hazardous facilities by providing safe equipment, backed by adherence to regulatory standards and quality control testing.