Geotomographie - Model BIS-SH - S-Wave Borehole Source
The borehole source BIS-SH generates horizontally polarized shear waves (SH) and compressional waves (P) in dry or water filled boreholes.
Energy released by the IPG5000 discharges through a system of electromagnetical coils adjacent to a copper plate. If the plate is rejected a mechanical impact to the borehole wall is generated. The remote control unit (RCU) converts the reference signal of the impulse generator to an accurate time break with an accuracy of a few microseconds.The borehole source is coupled to the borehole wall by a pneumatic clamping system (inflatable bladder). The orientation of the source is controlled from surface by a torsionally stiff hose.
Test showed that the S-wave source BIS-SH is highly repeatable up to frequencies of 4-5 kHz.
- Generated wave types: SH/P
- Signal frequencies: Up to 4 kHz (depending on geology and borehole distance)
- Operational depth: Up to 100 m
- Source length: 880 mm
- Source diameter: 65 mm
- Source weight: 8.5 kg
- Cable weight per metre: 665 g
- Borehole diameter: 75 - 100 mm (or larger if spacers are used)
- Clamping system: Inflatable bladder
- Orientation: Torsionally stiff hose
- Depth indicator: Cable marking every 2 m
- Connector: To Impulse Generator IPG5000