IRmax - Ultra-Compact Infra-Red (IR) Gas Detector
From Fixed Gas Detectors
IRmax is an infrared (IR) gas detector which delivers fast, fail-safe detection of hydrocarbon gases and vapours. The IRmax gas detection system offers the choice of a detector only, a local gas/status display, a remote gas/status display or non-intrusive calibration via an I.S. calibration tool or hand-held HART communicator.
The reliability of IRmax has been proven in hot, cold, wet and saline environments, making it ideal for offshore.
IRmax's unique STAY-CLIR optical components are treated with a highly durable coating that completely prevents faults due to condensation. As IRmax contains no components for artificially heating optical surfaces, power consumption is dramatically reduced, requiring only 1W of power.
Compact, low power and highly rugged infrared gas detector for monitoring potentially flammable concentrations of methane, butane, propane and many other hydrocarbon gases and vapours.
- Display accessory available for direct connection to IRmax, or remote connection up to 30 metres from the detector.
- The IR Display shows gas and optical obscuration levels and enables non-intrusive calibration of the detector.
- Fast response: with a response time of only 4 seconds, IRmax provides rapid detection of hydrocarbon gas hazards.
- Ultimate dependability: designed and proven for compliance with IEC61508 SIL 2, IRmax has been rigorously tested in offshore environments.
- Wide operating temperature range: IRmax is fully temperature compensated for operation in environments from -40°C to +75°C.
- Dependable detection: IRmax continues to detect gas with the optical system 90% obscured by salt or other contaminants. The level of obscuration (contamination) can be checked easily via the IR Display, and a fault signal is generated when optics are 90% obscured.
- Proven track record: IRmax has been subjected to intense 3rd-party long-term tests for reliability in hot, cold, wet and saline environments.
- Remote non-intrusive calibration - the IR display can be mounted up to 30 metres from the IRmax and test gas can be applied without requiring direct access to the detector
- Hand-held Intrinsically Safe (I.S) calibrator - IRmax detectors fitted with an I.S barrier module can be checked and calibrated using an I.S calibration accessory
- STAY-CLIR optics - prevents condensation on optical components
- Compact size - requires less space, effort and time to install
- Various installation options - can be wall mounted, fitted to a 50mm (2 inch) pipe or connected to an auxiliary junction box using a choice of mounting accessories
- Industry standard 4-20mA output - compatible with virtually any control system
- Options for HART communications and RS-485 Modbus
- Low power - only consumes 1W of power, enabling small power supplies and battery back-up systems to be used
- Automatic optical obscuration monitoring - minimal routine maintenance keeps costs down
- Annual proof-test interval
IRmax is available either as a basic unit without display, or with three display options. The Fixed IR Display is permanently fixed to the IRmax detector to enable simple status checking and non-intrusive calibration. The Remote IR Display can be mounted up to 30 metres from the IRmax detector simplifying checking and maintenance of detectors mounted in inaccessible areas. The Hand-Held I.S. Calibrator is available for temporary connection to IRmax detectors fitted with an I.S. Barrier Module.
- Fast response
- IEC61508 SIL 2 compliant
- Wide range of gases
Remote IR Display
- Can be mounted up to 30 metres from IRmax
- Removes the need to directly access the IRmax detector
- Choice of connection lead lengths
- Hand-held HART communicators can be connected to the IR Display for local diagnostics and calibration
- HART data is super-imposed onto the 4-20mA signal for communicating with HART enabled control systems
- Compatible with point-to-point or addressable HART topologies
Fixed IR Display
- Large, clear display shows gas level and other status information
- Simple non-intrusive calibration
- Enables connection of hand-held HART communicators
- Can be rotated up and down to provide the optimum viewing angle.
I.S. Hand-Held Calibrator
- Enables calibration and interrogation of IRmax detectors without a Fixed or Remote IR Display
- Only one I.S. hand-held calibrator required per IRmax detector fleet Intrinsically Safe; suitable for use in hazardous areas
- Enables remote interrogation of IRmax
- Enables up to 32 detectors to be multi-dropped on an addressable network
- RS-485 physical platform for transmission of data up to 1Km