Pentek - Roto-Peen Scaler
From Power Tools
Pentek’s Roto-Peen Scaler with localized exhaust is designed to remove hazardous protective coatings (including lead-based paints) from steel, concrete, brick and wood in an environmentally safe manner. The Roto-Peen Scaler is designed to operate independently or in conjunction with Pentek’s full suite of integrated decontamination equipment, including Corner-Cutter needle guns and the VAC-PAC high performance self-drumming waste collection system.
The Pentek ROTO PEEN Scaler is a hand-held tool used to remove coatings from concrete, steel,brick, and wood. Manufactured of solid cast alloy, the ROTO PEEN Scaler is rugged, and its lightness makes it highly portable and easy to maneuver.
The Roto-Peen Scaler is excellent for flat areas and large vertical surfaces including beams, girders, tank shells, near walls or within confined spaces. It has proven effectiveness in coatings removal from industrial structures such as bridges, tanks and towers, as well as public housing components: walls, siding, and doors. On steel surfaces, the Roto-Peen Scaler removes coatings fast and cleans to a bare metal finish comparable to abrasive blasting – providing an anchor profile suitable for application of new protective coatings. Pentek’s Roto-Peen Scaler is rugged, manufactured of solid cast alloy able to weather the daily wear and tear of field operations; yet the basic tool weighs only 6.5 pounds, making it highly portable and easy to maneuver.
The Roto-Peen Scaler is equipped with 3M Heavy Duty Roto Peen Flaps, each studded with rows of tough tungsten carbide cutters and mounted on a rotating hub. Paint, corrosion, oxide, and mill scale are fractured and removed by the impact of the tungsten carbide against the work surface. This 100% mechanical action occurs within an evacuated enclosure designed to prevent the escape of dust, debris and airborne contamination into the environment. This feature minimizes the need for both containment and worker protection. Hazardous waste disposal costs arc drastically reduced: since only the paint is removed without the use of abrasives, water, or chemicals, the waste From 2,500 square feet of work surface can be contained in a single 55-gallon drum.
Interchangeable cutting media
Standard 3M Roto-Peen Flaps (Type C) can:
- Remove coatings from steel, concrete, brick, and wood
- Prepare concrete and steel to accept coatings
- De-scale steel
While every job is different, 3M Flaps typically produce a 3.0-4.5 mil (Rt measured by ASTM D4417 method C, replica tape) surface profile on steel and a Concrete Surface Profile (CSP) between 3 and 8 on concrete:
The Star Cutter scarifier is a more aggressive solution for removing thick epoxy coatings and concrete substrate. While every job is different, the Star Cutter typically produces a 2.0 mil (Rt measured by ASTM D4417 method C, replica tape) surface profile on steel and a Concrete Surface Profile (CSP) between 3 and 9 on concrete:
The Cushioned Abrasive Wheel (CAW) is designed for soft metal, wood, plastic, ceramic, fiberglass & composites.
Note: Use of the CAW requires minor shroud modification to accommodate the larger tool size.
The Roto-Peen Scaler has many other exclusive features to improve worker safety and contractor profitability:
- Speed Adjustment: to vary surface profile from 0.5 to 4 mils
- Depth Control: allows for exact positioning of cutters to properly dress the working surface
- Adjustable Handle: 3 distinct positions provide easier access for hard-to-reach areas
- Safety-lock Throttle: to prevent accidental start-ups
- 1-1/2 inch Vacuum Port Cuff: standard vacuum hook-up
- Right-Angled Roto-Peen Scaler (replace P/N with A07001900) has a right-angled motor/drive for access to narrow webbing on I-beams and stair risers.
- Industrial Plants
- Storage Tanks
- Bridges & Tunnels
- Power Plants
- Pulp & Paper Mills
- Commercial Buildings
- Public Housing Components
- Food Processing Plants
- Industrial Hard Woods
- Production Rate
- Flat Surfaces – 40-50 square feet per hour (nominal)
- Corners and edges — Not Applicable. See Corner-Cutter®
- Cutting Width : 2 inches
- RPM : User adjustable up to 2,400 rpm
- Air Consumption : 30 scfm at 90 psig. Unit requires 1/2 inch diameter air supply hose with an in-line lubricator-regulator-filter.
- Vacuum Flow : To ensure adequate containment of dust/debris/contamination, the user must supply a minimum of 75 cfm vacuum source at the vacuum hose connection. The unit will interlace with Pentek’s VAC-PAC® self-drumming/HEPA vacuum system or other high-capacity, industrial HEPA vacuums.
- Availability : Stock item