Spooner - Model RTO - Regenerative Thermal Oxidiser
A Regenerative Thermal Oxidiser (RTO) destroys emissions through the process of high temperature thermal oxidation. The RTO has become the most widely used emission abatement technology for industrial and manufacturing processes due to its ability to re-use the thermal energy generated during operation to reduce operating costs and energy consumption.
RTOs consist of a number of ceramic media chambers or beds, connecting to the combustion chamber. The VOC and HAP laden process gas is delivered to the oxidiser inlet manifold via a system fan and is then directed into one of the beds via flow control valves. The process gas is progressively heated in the ceramic media bed as it moves towards the combustion chamber. Once oxidised in the combustion chamber, the purified air releases thermal energy as it passes through the media bed in the outlet flow direction. Poppet or butterfly valves alternate the airflow direction into the media beds to maximise energy recovery within the oxidiser. The high energy recovery within these oxidisers reduces the auxiliary fuel requirement and saves operating costs – the units can reach self-sustaining operation with no auxiliary fuel usage (auto-thermal) at low inlet VOC concentrations.
- Up to 97% thermal efficiency
- >99% destruction efficiency
- Variable Frequency Drive (VFD) for high volumetric turn-down during low process or idle conditions
- Up to 25% Lower Explosive Limits (LEL) RTO operation while self-sustaining as low as 3% LEL, reducing the need for auxiliary fuel
- PLC based control system with remote access
- Low NOx burner design
- Supplemental Fuel Injection (SFI) for increased fuel efficiency, flameless thermal oxidation and ultra low NOx emissions.
- Hot Side Bypass for high loading conditions
- Bake-out feature to remove organic particulate build-up
- Diverse materials of construction options for high temperature or corrosive applications (e.g. halogenated compounds)
- Acid gas scrubber module with completely integrated control system
- Forced or induced draft fan configurations
- Skid or remote mounted panels available for system controls
- Two, three or multi-bed configurations