Continuously measure process industry slurry concentrations: Readings are not affected by the color of fluid or particulates
No permits/approvals required: Ultrasonic sensors are inherently safe, even those used in sludge too thick for optical measurement
Ideal for use in clarifiers, tanks, pipes & recirculation loops: This sludge concentration meter is available as a non-intrusive inline pipe spool-piece or throw-in style probe. Both styles are simple to install, calibrate and clean
Continuously monitor the percent suspended solids flowing in a pipeline: Have the data at your fingertips that enables calculation of solids mass flow
suspended solids concentration; suspended solids analyzer; suspended solids monitor; suspended solids density monitor
Monitor water & wastewater silt, sludge, RAS, or backwash sludge density
- Stay informed with real-time linear readings of the percentage of suspended solids.
Continuously measure process industry slurry concentrations
- Readings are not affected by the colour of fluid or particulates.
No permits/approvals required
- Ultrasonic sensors are inherently safe, even those used in sludge too thick for optical measurement.
Ideal for use in clarifiers, tanks, pipes & recirculation loops
- Available as a non-intrusive inline pipe spool-piece or throw-in style probe. Both styles are simple to install, calibrate and clean.
Continuously monitor the percent suspended solids flowing in a pipeline
- Have the data at your fingertips that enables calculation of solids mass flow.
Program underflow pumps to turn off before biosolids or feed-density becomes too thin
- Reduce wear-and-tear on desludge pumps; improve outflow available for re-use.
Help fine-tune polymer or chemical dosing and variables on thickening equipment
- Help reduce material and energy costs, and support enhanced dewatering.
Ensure meters will work in your unique sludge or slurry
- Samples tested free of charge.
Get answers when you have questions
- Technical assistance is direct from the designers and manufacturers.
Markland’s Suspended Solids Density Meter is useful wherever you can benefit from monitoring the concentration of particulates in fluids:
- Municipal wastewater treatment plants, to measure primary, secondary and return-activated sludge (RAS) concentrations
- Industrial slurry concentrations, to analyze sludge density
- Industrial wastewater, to control desludge pumping
- Manufacturing processes
- Open-top tanks
- Power generation plants
- Food processing plants
- Mineral processing
- Chemical processing
- Petrochemical and pharmaceutical plants
- Drinking Water Treatment Plants (to measure backwash sludge concentration from sand or membrane filters, before it is sent for further processing)
The Markland Suspended Solids Density Meter has been successfully used in or tested with the following:
- Iron Ore Slime
- Metal Hydroxide Sludge
- Iron Ore
- White Water
- Return Activated Sludge (RAS)
- Sugar Cane Slurry
- Aqueous Ammonia
- Garnet Powder
- Backwash Filter Sludge
- Power Plant Sludge
- Paper Mill Effluent
- Clay & Silica
- Sodium Hydroxide Sludge
- Serium Oxide
- Ponce Powder
- Aluminium Oxide
- Drinking Water Plant Lime Sludge
- Magnesium Hydroxide
- Kaolin Clay
- Calcium Hydroxide
- Lime Slurry
- Rubber Latex
- Metal Finishing Sludge
- Fumed silica
- Powdered Coal
- Primary Sludge
- not affected by colour of fluid or particulates
- measures slurry concentrations too thick for optical methods
- easy set-up and calibration
- safe ultrasonic sensor is non-radioactive, so approvals/permits unnecessary
- non-clogging, smooth-bore, non-intrusive sensor is low maintenance (no protruding parts that could entangle material in the flow, so requires little cleaning)
- ultrasonic self-cleaning (no optics to foul)
- can be supplied as an in-line spoolpiece or throw-in style probe
- automatic dynamic damping, to prevent widely fluctuating readings
NOTE:The Suspended Solids Density Meter cannot be used in aerated or heavily-gassing slurries.
Markland’s Suspended Solids Density Meters use the attenuation of ultrasound to measure the concentration of sludges and slurries that are too thick for optical methods. Markland’s Meters operate in the region between TURBIDITY METERS and NUCLEAR GAUGES.
This animation demonstrates how the Markland Suspended Solids Density Meter works. The sonic pulse passing through clear water returns a strong echo and the meter reads zero.
Suspended solids absorb some of the sonic energy making the echo weaker and the meter reads the percentage suspended solids of the slurry.
- Range: 0.1% (1000 mg/L) to 15% (150,000 mg/L) approximate. We have measured some concentrations up to 80%SS. Exact range varies in different materials due to variation in sonic attenuation. Contact factory for engineering assistance or NO CHARGE testing of your particular slurry.
- Accuracy: ±1000 mg/L to 5% of full scale (depends on sonic attenuation of particular sludge)
- Linearity: Varies in different materials. Maximum non-linearity at mid-range is usually within of 5% of full scale reading
- Power: 110/120 VAC, 220/240 VAC, 50/60 Hz (advise with order). 15 watts
- Temperature: Liquid: 1°C to 45°C Controller: 20°C to 50°C
- Pressure: 60 p.s.i.g. (4bar) 400 kpa
- Liquid Crystal Display (LCD) 2×20 Digit Alphanumeric
- 4 – 20 ma output signal, linear with %SS.
- Two DPDT, 5 Amp Relays, independently adjustable set-points
- RS – 232 Serial Port
- RS – 485 Serial Port (Optional)
- Calibration: Pushbutton Automatic in water (zero) and in known %S.S. concentration
- Damping: Automatic Variable Dynamic Damping
- Response Time: 1 to 30 sec. depending on damping
- Cable(s): 15 metres (50 feet) coaxial cable pigtail(s)
- Enclosure: NEMA-4X (IP-67) Width 343mm (13 1/2″) · Height 229mm (9″) · Depth 200 mm (7 7/8″)
- Dimensions & Materials:
- MODEL 502-IL
- Flanged steel spoolpiece pickup head, overall length 458mm (18 inches).Flange type and pipe diameter to suit pipeline
- MODEL 502-TP
- PVC probe cage head with stainless steel trim, 150 mm (6 in.) offset from vertical mast. 1 inch Sch. 80 pipe mast x 4 metres (12 feet) long supplied with two stainless steel mounting clamps.