WesTech - RapiSand™ Ballasted Flocculation System
Our mobile RapiSand units can be on site at your location within days. They’re available for lease, so you can contract them for only as long as you need. Visit our mobile and temporary solutions page to learn more about our fleet and services.
RapiSand ballasted flocculation is a four step process:
- Coagulation: Raw water is mixed with coagulant in the first tank.
- Flocculation: Coagulated water is mixed with polymer and recycled microsand in each of two flocculation tanks.
- Clarification: The flocculated water flows into the clarification tank where the floc settles and clarified water passes up through tube settlers. Clarified water exits the system by way of a peripheral outlet launder.
- Separation: Settled floc and sand are collected and pumped to the hydrocyclone where the sand is separated from the solids. The solids are sent to waste and the separated sand is returned to the first flocculation tank.
The microsand has a specific gravity of 2.6 and is mixed with the polymer and coagulated solids to form a dense ballasted floc. Total flocculation time is typically eight minutes, which is a fraction of the time required in a conventional flocculation system. In the clarification step, the ballasted floc settles at rates that are 15 to 35 times faster than conventional clarification. Total detention time in the RapiSand system is typically 20 minutes from start to finish.
Rapid flocculation and rapid settling combine to reduce the space requirement by up to 90% for a RapiSand vs. a conventional clarification system.
- Hydrofoil mixers ensure uniform mixing in all three mixing chambers.
- Circular rake system guarantees rapid transport of settled sand/solids to a centrally located hopper, allowing for rapid process startup.
- Industrial recirculation pump
- Hydrocyclone provides separation of the microsand and coagulated solids.
- Small footprint: RapiSand can decrease the footprint of the sedimentation system by as much as 90%.
- Quick start-up: Plants can be operational in as little as 15 minutes from start-up time.
- Stable process: Handles large spikes in raw water turbidity.
- Performance: Typical outlet turbidity is <2 NTU.