Our capabilities include:
- Analysis on multiple matrix types (seeds, oils, meals and processing materials), utilizing accepted methodologies from AOCS, AOAC, ISO, IUPAC, ASTM, AACC and internally developed methods
- Analysis quality is monitored both internally and through a variety of national and international test programs.
Areas of analysis include:
- Moisture, oil content, fat composition, fat quality, antioxidants, proteins, sugars and elemental, fire and other analyses
- Other services available include method development, nutritional labeling analysis, damaged oil studies and oil preservation studies.
Analytical procedures include:
- Gas-liquid chromatgraphy (GLC)
- Gas chromatography-mass spectrometry (GC/MS)
- High performance liquid chromatography (HPLC)
- Inductively coupled plasma-optical emission spectroscopy (ICP-OES)
- UV-VIS spectrophotometry
- Wet chemical analysis techniques
Our Analytical Services Division is accredited through the Canadian Grain Commission for canola and flax analysis according to WCC/RRC criteria.
The Division also participates in a proficiency program with the Canadian Grain Commission for protein content in wheat. The AOCS Laboratory Proficiency Program, formerly the Smalley Check Sample Program, is the world’s most extensive and respected collaborative proficiency testing program for oil and fat-related commodities, oilseeds, oilseed meals, and edible fats. More than 500 chemists participate to verify lab quality control. Participants use AOCS or similar methods for sample analysis and then compare their results with a large cross-section of other laboratories.