Berlinwasser Management Consult
Since March 2008 Berlinwasser Management Consult is providing consultancy services regarding the development of modern, customer-oriented and financially-secured water utility services.
Berlinwasser International has all the skills and experience necessary to lead multi-national and multi-skilled consulting teams staffed specifically to achieve our clients’ objectives with respect to technical and organizational modernization, know-how exchange and financial strengthening of water companies.
... in transition economies Berlinwasser International focussed on achieving client objectives such as:
- setting a baseline in the current operational status;
- the achievement of quantifiable operational improvements;
- benchmarking the current service against international standards;
- the introduction of performance-based management principles, indicators and best practices;
- managing the change to financially strong, customer-oriented and modern water service.
From a methodical approach to starting consulting services through to their provision on the ground, we identify the key milestones to be achieved and then monitor progress rigorously. We identify and respond to the needs of key stakeholders, from customers and staff through to the industry and society at large. Berlinwasser International consultancy has also provided viable action plans for obtaining additional resources needed in terms of both financing and expertise that describe how to obtain these resources and take optimal advantage of existing opportunities.
Building up organisational capacity to improve the quality of decision-making, sector efficiency and managerial performance in the planning and implementation of programmes and projects. Advice on tendering and procurement, to enable the attainment of international standards. Training and education of personnel at utilities and other relevant institutions in issues of water utility management, change management and environmental awareness. Tailored study tours of Berlin operational facilities. Evaluation of staffing levels and function-related role definition.
Elaboration of long-term management strategies for water utilities in developing countries and countries in transformation that have received technical and financial assistance from international donor agencies (e.g. World Bank, EBRD, ADB, KfW, GTZ, etc.) to assist them to establish sustainable and efficient operations over the long term.
- Evaluation of investment needs for reconstruction and rehabilitation of water sector infrastructure.
- Preparation of international procurement documents and supervision of tender processes.
- Establishment of an efficient billing and accounting system that takes into account the introduction of a balanced tariff policy
- Implementation of best practices in customer service activities and the efficient operation of
customer service centres
- Providing best practice and key performance indicators in business processes
- Operational cost analysis and revenue generation performance
- Rate structure analysis and design
- Access to advanced knowledge in the relevant process technologies
- Assistance in the introduction and implementation of modern management information systems (MIS), geographical information systems (GIS) and of supervisory control and data acquisition systems
- Reducing operational costs and increasing revenue collection performance by putting in place a proven non-revenue water strategy
- Leakage control strategies employing detect and repair activities in combination with pilot zone studies including installation of the appropriate selection of metres, valves and other equipment
- Energy management programmes to reduce expenditures on electrical and thermal energy
- Improving public health and sanitation by training staff in proper sewer maintenance and in cost-effective sewage treatment, for both centralised and decentralised systems
- Instructions on the use of modern instrumentation and control systems for increasing the level of automation and reducing the energy consumption of plant installations
- Assisting public and private water companies to restructure their businesses to ensure an efficient, modern and financially strong water utility
- Support in preparing contracts and transactions concerning the outsourcing of water utility operations
- Analysis of possible private-sector participation in publicly owned water utilities to improve their performance (Public Private Partnerships, Management Contracts, Lease Contracts and Concessions).