In the past, engineering companies involved with brownfield remediation weren't all that interested in cleaning up the problem - they were more interested in generating paperwork and stretching out report writing to increase revenue. Environmental sustainability has become an objective both in our public policies and our business strategies. Brownfield remediation enhances a community's long term quality of life. Making the most of underused or abandoned urban lands by remediation and redevelopment is just good business practice. Biosmart Scientific Ltd. will work with you to find the simplest, most direct and cost effective method to remediate your brownfield site.
What is a Brownfield?
A brownfield is an area of land which was used for commercial or industrial uses and then abandoned. Most brownfields may be contaminated by low concentrations of hazardous waste or pollution, and have the potential to be reused once they are cleaned up. During the in-situ brownfield remediation process, Biosmart Scientific Ltd. identifies the contamination and appropriate bio-enzymes are formulated and introduced to the contaminant on site. Over time, these enzymes will neutralize the contaminant and effectively remediate the site. Constant monitoring and laboratory testing during the remediation process determines the effectiveness of the bio-enzymes in neutralizing the contamination. This allows for adjustments and any necessary modifications that may be required during the process.
Why is Brownfield Remediation Important?
Redevelopment and remediation of brownfields is important for a number of reasons. From an environmental perspective, cleanup of contamination is important because it reduces the release of harmful contaminants into the environment, making the environment safer. By developing brownfields, we are ensuring that land is fully utilized, rather than increasing urban sprawl into farmlands or onto land which might be providing habitat for animals or an environmental buffer. Revitalization of unused or abandoned urban land is an essential part of the economic development of cities and regions throughout Ontario. It is also good business for developers and real estate investors who have an eye on the future potential of these remediated sites.
- Complexity of the site
- Size of the polluted area
- Soil structure (clay, gravel, sand)
- Amount and frequency of rain fall
- Salt content of the area
- Uses all naturally occurring farm-friendly bacteria.
- While this biotechnology has been documented and used since 1850, typically people don't use it because they don't know how to maximize the potential of the bacteria. Our processes make the bacteria happy and they are hungry!
- Biosmart Scientific Ltd. has done numerous experiments to determine the appropriate ratios required to neutralize all different types of pollution.
- At the completion of the remediation process -you have a pollution free site in less time than with a typical chemical clean-up - this translates into a clean and SALEABLE propertyl
WHAT DOES IT COST?
The cost to remediate a polluted site using bioremediation is substantially lower than by using the traditional methods - simply because we can do it faster and naturally. We are happy to visit your site and give you an estimated cost for no charqe.