Carpet Recycling Services
From Collection Services
Carpet Recycling UK drives innovation in end-of-life solutions for carpets. The vision is of a strong and diverse carpet recycling industry which recovers all carpet waste using best environmental technologies.
Managed by Axion Consulting, the scheme is working towards a world where 100% of all carpet waste is diverted from landfill through re use and recycling.
Carpet Recycling UK’s main aim is to increase the diversion of carpets from landfill, by:
- Finding new end uses for recycled carpet.
- Facilitating relationships between people who want to recycle carpet and recyclers.
- Lobbying for a favourable policy environment.
- Providing practical support for carpet recyclers.
- Research and development.
- Disseminating results at conferences, trade events and shows.
Carpet Recycling UK’s achievements to date:
- Increased landfill diversion rate of waste carpet from 2% to 10% in 2 years.
- Helped to divert 137,020 tonnes of carpet waste from landfill to recycling or energy recovery. This is equivalent to 8472 football pitches.
- Expanded its specialist carpet re-use, recycling and energy recovery outlets from 6 to 24.
- Accessed external public funding of £120,000 to research high-value opportunities for material recovery.
- Increased membership to 63 companies across the carpet value chain and in waste recovery – with core funding coming from 11 UK carpet manufacturer companies and a market leading distributor.
- Lobbied government agencies such as DEFRA and WRAP to increase awareness of the voluntary producer responsibility position being taken by the carpet industry.
- Provided a lead role on carpets within the Flooring Resource Efficiency Plan funded by WRAP and BRE Trust