Through this approach Colsen b.v. has improved its wastewater treatment technology portfolio for phosphorus- and nitrogen removal and recovery for the digestate treatment after (manure)digestion. These patented techniques make it possible to convert the digestate to irrigation water or for discharging to the surrounding surface waters. Additional treatment could result in an increase of water reuse by supplying the water to nearby green houses, other industries or usage within the factory itself.
The technology used for the digestate treatment consists of:
- Separation technique to separate the solid fraction from the liquid fraction in the digestate retrieved directly from the digester.
- Treatment of the liquid fraction in an UASB-reactor
- Phosphorus removal by the ANPHOS® principle
- Nitrogen removal by the NAS® principle
- Nitrogen removal by the MBR-NAS® principle
- Nitrogen removal via ammonia stripping by the AMFER® principle