EcoClean for Chlorinated solvents Service
EcoClean is wholesome food for the soil microorganisms. It consists of source of energy, macro-nutrients, micro-nutrients, vitamins, aminoacids and components of nucleic acids. EcoClean is applied to the soil and groundwater contaminated with Chlorinated Solvents to stimulate an indigenous consortium of microbes responsible for degrading these contaminants directly or indirectly.
When EcoClean is applied to the soil or groundwater, the first group of microbes ferments EcoClean to release organic acids such as Lactic acid, Butyric acid, Propionic acid, Acetic acid and Pyruvic acid. This group of microbes also uses oxygen and other electron acceptors such as nitrate, Fe (III), Mn(IV) and creates anaerobic subsurface environment. These acids are further hydrolyzed to release hydrogen by subsequent group of microbes. Under obligate anaerobic conditions, microorganisms use chlorinated solvents for respiration, and the hydrogen released from EcoClean as the source of energy. During this process removing one Chlorine atom at a time sequentially degrades the chlorinated hydrocarbon molecule. The resulted end products of whole process would be non-toxic ethylene, inorganic chlorides, carbon dioxide and water.
How to Use
Both EcoClean and EcoClean-M are a water-soluble. The application rate varies usually between 400-1000 g/m3 of contaminated volume. These biostimulants are usually dissolved 200-400 times in water and applied to the contaminated media. As shown in the figure, a simple mixing tank and mixing pump are required for injection. Usually the biostimulant solution is fed by gravity without additional pressure into injection wells. Since these biostimulants are completely soluble in water, these can propagate more than 10m from the point of injection under ideal hydrogeological conditions.
The EcoClean application rate, injection technique, and precautions while and after injection etc. vary with concentration of contaminants, hydrogeological and geochemical parameters. Please contact us to know more about this. Our experts with their experience of working on hundreds of contaminated sites can help you design cost effective remediation.
Advantages of EcoClean and EcoClean-M
- Effective in a wide range of sites: Till date, EcoClean and EcoClean-M have been applied on more than 60 sites in Japan and overseas. The unique combination of microbial nutrients in these products stimulates a wide range of microorganisms. Therefore we do not depend on presence, or absence of specific microbes such as Dehalococcoides. EcoClean has been successfully applied to remediate at least 3 sites in Japan where Dehalococcoides was not detected.
- Cost effective and ease of application: EcoClean and EcoClean-M are completely water-soluble and therefore can be injected subsurface under gravity using simple mixing pump and tank. Under ideal hydrogeological conditions these biostimulants can propagate for more than 10-15 m in the groundwater. Therefore these are widely accepted by clients to apply at active manufacturing facilities. These can be applied through wells located 10-20 m apart at these facilities without disrupting the day today manufacturing activities. The application does not need the use of heavy machineries.
- Short remediation time: The time taken for remediation depends on several factors such as hydrogeology, contamination concentration and distribution, presence of co-contaminants etc. In general results of contamination degradation can be obtained within 2-4 months of EcoClean or EcoClean-M application on most of the sites. As compared to traditional techniques such as “pump and treat” which takes more than a decade to completely clean a site, EcoClean or EcoClean-M can perform the same job in a matter of months. That would save huge operation and maintenance cost. Please refer to the field results for more details.
- Degrading high concentration: We have successfully cleaned several sites containing contamination of tens of mg/L order within a span of few months, which, in general, are thought to be difficult to degrade by bioremediation within such a in short time. Till date, the highest concentration of contamination completely degraded with EcoClean is 380mg/L of TCE and 120mg/L of C-DCE. At many sites, we have witnessed that the application of EcoClean dissolves the sorbed phase of contamination and thereby helps increase the bio-availability of contaminants for complete microbial degradation.
- Ultra-Low energy requirement: Unlike many other technologies such as “pump and treat”, soil vapor extraction EcoClean or EcoClean-M based bioremediation takes a small amount of fuel/electricity. At many sites simple mixing pump and gravity feed injection is practiced.
No reviews were found for EcoClean for Chlorinated solvents Service. Be the first to review!