Forest & Land Use Carbon Offset Verification
Generate tradable carbon credits for your forest carbon and land-use carbon offset projects that are credible, transparent, and tradable in global carbon markets. SCS Global Services is a globally recognized verifier of forest and land-use carbon offset projects, with notable expertise in REDD and Improved Forest Management projects.
We are accredited to verify and validate under:
- VCS (Verified Carbon Standard)
- CAR (Climate Action Reserve)
- ARB (California Air Resources Board program for compliance offsets) (pending)
- ACR (American Carbon Registry)
- CCB (Climate, Community, and Biodiversity Project Design Standards)
- FCOP (British Columbia Forest Carbon Offset Protocol)
Our Audit Team
The SCS audit team has broad expertise in Agriculture, Forestry, and Other Land-Use (AFOLU), including forest inventory and sampling, remote sensing, GIS, forest biometrics, forest modeling, soil carbon, combined VCS-CCB audits, and combined FSC and forest carbon audits.
The following project types can be verified:
- Improved Forest Management
- Afforestation and Reforestation
- Avoided Conversion Projects
- REDD (Reducing Emissions from Deforestation and Degradation)
- Other AFOLU Project Types (including peatlands and wetlands)
Forest Carbon and Land-Use Carbon Offset Services
- Pre-assessment or gap analysis - We can conduct a gap analysis prior to initiating the project. A gap analysis can identify technical issues prior to full verification.
- Project design validation - Validate the design of your forest carbon offset project with SCS to determine your eligibility for verification. Please contact our GHG team at any point in the development stages of your project.
- Verification of project-based emissions reductions - We verify GHG emission reductions based on the program standard and project type.
- VCS Methodology Assessment - For carbon offset projects where no prior methodology exists.
Combine your carbon offset verification with Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) Forest Management Certification for increased operational and cost efficiency.
SCS will guide your project staff through the verification process and provide personalized attention with a fast turnaround and a high-level of service tailored to your needs. Contact SCS for a Carbon Offset Manual specific to your project type and standard to get started.
- Apply for Verification
Complete an application form, including a description of your project and its location. SCS staff will return a proposal to you for signature. To initiate the verification process, return a signed proposal and contract agreement.
- Submit Project Documentation
SCS will conduct a desk review of all project documentation and issues findings to the applicant. You have an opportunity to address each finding before the site visit.
- On Site Visit
We will conduct site visit(s) to assess the project's compliance with the relevant program standards. This includes an office visit and a field visit.
- Draft Verification Report
SCS will issue a draft verification report that details findings from the site visit. You have an opportunity to address findings before the final verification decision is made.
- Technical Review
A lead verifier who was not involved in the audit will do an independent review of the draft verification report.
- Verification Report
The final verification opinion is submitted to the applicable greenhouse gas registry for issuance of carbon offsets (as warranted).