The management of solid and hazardous waste receives is heavily scrutinized and society is tasked with solving the very difficult problems raised by comprehensive waste management. The increase in volume of waste by-products results in the emergence of new technologies to properly recycle usable materials and to safely and permanently dispose of unusable residues. RTP is in the forefront of waste management from environmental and regulatory perspectives.
A large portion of our efforts is currently directed at the solid waste management area. This includes:
- Providing environmental consulting and permitting services for construction and operation of waste disposal facilities such as landfill, composting facilities, resource recovery projects, composting and recycling efforts.
- Responding to NSPS and Emission Guideline requirements for landfills, municipal solid waste combustors, and other solid waste disposal facilities as applicable.
- Providing technical and management support functions either as complete service contracts or special task assignments.
- We also provide the following services in hazardous waste management:
- Assessment of existing conditions by identifying immediate hazards.
- Develop necessary remediation plans.
- Develop remedial investigation and feasibility study (RIFS) work plans and interim reports.
- Develop remediation alternatives leading to site closure plans.
RTP staff is acutely aware of the potential problems associated with evaluating multimedia, multi-trajectory/multi-pathway problems. For example, the scientific and engineering community is just beginning to recognize the complexity of atmospheric emissions and diffusion under various site conditions. Such issues are normally not addressed by the standard guideline approaches and typically are features of hazardous waste site analyses that may result in flaws in the analysis if not properly taken into account. The collective experience of RTP staff assures that the problem will be evaluated completely.
Diffusion studies can be integrated into risk assessment methodologies for determining the potential of acute and chronic exposure. The access to risk assessment specialists and extensive data bases provides clients with accurate and rapid responses to their specific projects.