BRI-STARS - BRIdge Stream Tube Software
BRI-STARS (BRIdge Stream Tube model for Alluvial River Simulation) model is a generalized semi-two-dimensional water and sediment-routing model with an integrated graphical interface for solving complicated river engineering problems with limited data and resources. This model is capable of computing alluvial scour/deposition through subcritical, supercritical, and a combination of both flow conditions involving hydraulic jumps. Unlike conventional water and sediment routing models, it is also capable of simulating channel widening/narrowing phenomenon as well as local scour due to highway encroachments. It contains a subset of Federal Highway Administration’s WSPRO subroutines for computing bridge hydraulics.
Most popular related searches
BRI-STARS visual output can be observed in the fol...
BRI-STARS visual output can be observed in the following screen windows:
Potential applications of the BRI-STARS can be sum...
Potential applications of the BRI-STARS can be summarized as:
- The model can be used as a fixed-bed model to compute water surface profiles for subcritical, supercritical, or the combination of both flow conditions involving hydraulic jumps. These computations include but are not limited to:
- Flow profiles in manmade channels with no sediment.
- Flow profiles over spillways and waterways.
- Water surface profiles in rivers where bed elevation changes are negligible.
- The model can be used as a movable bed model to route water and sediment through alluvial channels.
- The use of stream tubes allows the model to compute the variation of hydraulic conditions and sediment activity not only in the longitudinal but also in the lateral direction.
- With the selection of a single stream tube, the model becomes one-dimensional. By selection of multiple stream tubes, changes in cross section geometries in the lateral direction can be simulated.
- The armoring option allows simulation of longer term riverbed changes.
- With the selection of minimization procedure option, the model can simulate channel widening and narrowing processes.
- With the selection of WSPRO bridge hydraulics option the model utilizes specialized routines for the computation of flows through highway bridge openings.
- Maximum potential bridge pier scour for given flood hydrographs are computed through the use of several equations for various pier geometries.
- Flow diversion problems can be studied through the use of lateral inflow/outflow options.
- Aggregate mining studies can be conducted by simulating various mining alternatives (quantity and physical location).
- Dredging studies can be conducted by the use of the lateral sediment outflow option without any water outflow.
- Bank failures with known rates of bank regression can be simulated through the option of lateral sediment inflow without water inflow.
No reviews were found for BRI-STARS - BRIdge Stream Tube Software. Be the first to review!