Competent Person Fall Protection Training
This course is intended for those whose job responsibilities require them to actively supervise employees and contractors working at elevation. This is an interactive session with computer presentation, hands on application, demonstration, and written knowledge test to facilitate the course objectives.
Upon completion of the course, graduates will be able to recognize and mitigate fall hazards through a hierarchy of fall hazard controls and will have a basic understanding of the following:
- Understanding of the Importance of Fall Protection Safety & OSHA fall protection statistics.
- Applicable fall protection regulations and how to apply them in the work environment, including the new ANSI/ASSE Z359 Fall Arrest Code.
- Fall Protection hierarchy of controls – Elimination, Prevention, Arrest, Administrative.
- ABC’s of fall protection – Anchorage, Body Support, Connecting Means.
- Anchorage points/basic anchorage point considerations
- Full Body Harnesses – Application/Donning Session
- Lanyards: Shock Absorbing, Self-Retracting, 100% Tie off/Y-Lanyards
- Introduction to specialized fall protection equipment:
- Lifelines – Horizontal/Vertical
- Rigid Rail Systems
- Ladder Climbing Systems
- Work Positioning Systems
- Controlled Descent Devices
- 1st Man Up Devices
- Inspection of Fall Arrest Systems and components
- Fall Arrest System Clearance Diagrams
- Identification of Fall Hazards
- Fall Hazard Assessment Techniques
- Qualitative Fall Hazard Risk Assessment
- Quantitative Fall Hazard Risk Assessment
- Development of Fall Protection Plans
A course manual will be issued to each student. All fall protection equipment required for instruction will be provided, however, students are encouraged to bring their own personal fall arrest equipment to the course for use and demonstration.
Upon successful completion of the course, students will be considered for competent person status by their employer and will receive a certificate with applicable expiration date for retraining/recertification.