Hazardous Material Sector Specialist Employee A, B, C
Scope of Training: This course is designed for individuals responsible for responding to incidents involving hazardous materials. Individuals who have completed this course will have a solid working knowledge of incident response techniques, enabling them to respond to hazardous materials incidents in a safe and effective manner. This course uses a 'hands on' approach to enhance assimilation and retention of knowledge, and covers specialized materials, containers and incident scenarios associated with the individual's area of responsibility.
There are three levels of competency:
- Specialist Employee “C” – Awareness level only. Recognize, assess, protect individuals, and activate skilled personnel.
- Specialist Employee “B” – Technical advisor for first responders with the ability to direct and interact in all hazard zones.
- Specialist Employee “A” - Ability to identify, assess, plan, prepare, and execute the response to a hazardous material incident involving their products and containers associated with the individual's area of responsibility.
Hours of Training:
- Specialist Employee “C” – 8 Hours
- Specialist Employee “B” – 24 – 32 Hours
- Specialist Employee “A” – 40+ Hours
Depending on the level, these courses will include some or all of the following topics specific to the materials, containers and potential incident scenarios associated with the individual's area of responsibility:
- Standards and legislation
- Surveying hazardous material incidents
- Identification systems
- Container shapes
- Container materials
- Interpretation of hazardous materials information
- Risk Assessment
- Hazard zone identification and implementation
- Means of Containment
- Identification and specification including basic design, construction features and safety devices.
- Container damage assessment
- Meters and monitors
- Personal protection equipment
- Respiratory protection
- Chemical protective clothing
- Incident management / command systems
- Developing a Plan of Action
- Performing control functions (Offensive Actions)
- Incident termination