Inservice Inspector Commission Course (IC) Training
The Inservice Inspector Commission Course (IC) is a two-week course providing a detailed understanding of the requirements governing the qualification of, and the performance by, Inservice Commissioned Inspectors. Beyond duties and responsibilities, students are introduced to pressure equipment terminology and systems; fundamentals of nondestructive examination; controls and safety devices; and installation and inspection plans. The National Board Inspection Code is referenced and discussed throughout the course, as well as the ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code as the original code of construction. This course will allow those passing the final exam to receive an Inservice Inspector Commission, provided all other requirements of RCI-1, NB-263, Rules for Commissioned Inspectors, are also met.
Learning Outcomes Course Agenda
After attending this training students will be able to:
- Describe inservice inspector duties and responsibilities
- Identify boiler and pressure vessel types
- Recognize boiler and pressure vessel terminology
- Identify requirements for inspection frequency
- Verify calculations for internal/external pressures
- Understand conditions causing deterioration and failure
- Determine acceptance of pressure relief devices
- Understand controls and safety devices
- Recognize stamping requirements
- Understand requirements for completing a data report forms
- Understand code cases for design pressure and thickness
- Navigate applicable code books
- Be familiar with NBIC requirements
Included with the tuition for this course is the ASME Code Reading Primer and Basic Mathematics: Operations and Formulas online training. Included in the confirmation email sent to students six weeks prior to the start of class, students will be provided access to this online training. Completing this training prior to the start of class is highly recommended since it is not covered in the classroom.
Each student is required to bring the following materials (currently mandated edition):
- ASME Section I, Power Boilers
- ASME Section IV, Heating Boilers
- ASME Section VIII, Div. 1, Pressure Vessels
- ASME B31.1, Power Piping
- ASME CSD-1, Controls and Safety Devices for Automatically Fired Boilers
- National Board Inspection Code, Parts 1 and 2 (included with tuition and provided to students on first day of class)
Students will be loaned a copy of Low Pressure Boilers, 3rd Edition, for use as classroom reference only.
Criteria for Successful Completion
As a minimum, for a National Board Certificate of Successful Completion and IACET CEUs to be issued, students must:
- complete all online pre-work,
- actively participate in classroom assignments,
- have a minimum attendance of 90%,
- complete the course evaluation survey, and
- achieve a passing score on the examination.