Waterman Industries started with humble beginnings in 1912, when W.A. Waterman moved his then sheet metal shop to Exeter, California to better service new irrigation in the area. Mr. Waterman’s first products were designed to help the growers.
Through the purchase of the Red Top line in the early 1930’s, business increased and the company’s focus was shifted to water management. Because of the increase in business, Mr. Waterman was able to increase staff and hire his children at his company. After his death, his son Herrick took over the company.
In 1953, Waterman Industries built its first cast iron canal gates and shortly thereafter was fabricating larger and more complex radial and slide gates for use on the increasing federal water projects in the west. In the same year, to keep up with demand, Waterman Industries opened a warehouse and sales facility, which still is in operation in Lubbock, Texas.
In 1963, Waterman was awarded its first contract for furnishing a cast iron sluice gate for use in the wastewater field. This product received such attention that shortly thereafter, to meet demand, Waterman Industries opened a new manufacturing plant in the countryside of Exeter, which is still the location of corporate offices of Waterman Industries today.
After Herrick Waterman died in 1987, his stepson Don Appling took over the company. Under Don, the company expanded to become an international company. An international division was formed to take advantage of the new global marketplace.