Who We Are
The Water Environment Federation (WEF) is a not-for-profit technical and educational organization of 33,000 individual members and 75 affiliated Member Associations representing water quality professionals around the world. Since 1928, WEF and its members have protected public health and the environment. As a global water sector leader, our mission is to connect water professionals; enrich the expertise of water professionals; increase the awareness of the impact and value of water; and provide a platform for water sector innovation.
Previously called the Federation of Sewage Works Associations (1928), the Federation of Sewage and Industrial Wastes Associations (1950), and the Water Pollution Control Federation (1960); the name was changed to the Water Environment Federation in 1991 to reflect an expanded focus of non-point and point sources of pollution.
WEF and its global network of members and Member Associations (MAs) provide water quality professionals around the world with the latest in water quality education, training, and business opportunities. WEF’s diverse membership includes scientists, engineers, regulators, academics, utility managers, plant operators, and other professionals. WEF uses this collective knowledge to further a shared goal of improving water quality around the world.
With a staff of nearly 100, WEF is headquartered in Alexandria, Va., just outside of Washington, DC.
WEF is your link to a community of professionals, who, like you, are dedicated to improving water quality around the world, and WEF is also your link to resources vital to your career, including:
- Publications - WEF membership includes a subscription to Water Environment & Technology (WE&T) and WEF Highlights. Members also qualify for discounted subscription to additional WEF periodicals and newsletters.
- Education and Training - WEF Members receive discounted access to the best water quality education and training today, including WEFTEC®, WEF Specialty Conferences, Workshops, Webcasts, Technical Manuals and Books, and WEF Training products.
- Networking Opportunities - In addition to benefitting from WEFTEC® and other WEF events, as a member you will receive unique opportunities to expand your professional network, including Technical Discussion Groups online and your WEF Member Associations that provide a powerful local partnership to your WEF membership.
- Tools to Succeed - WEF provides members with tools designed to enhance your career in water quality, including Leadership and Volunteer opportunities; information on up-to-date regulatory and policy changes through WEF's Regulatory Updates Service; listings of the latest job opportunities through the WEF Job Bank; and advocacy through WEF's contact with U.S. regulatory and legislative officials, congressional staff, and the media.
- Peer Recognition - WEF members receive recognition through WEF's Distinguished Honors and Awards, through speaking opportunities at WEF technical events, and through authoring prospects for WEF publications.
- And much more - Our members often join for one reason, only to discover the value of many of the others. Join today and discover all that WEF has to offer.
WEF has guided technological development in water quality since 1928. Previously called the Federation of Sewage Works Associations (1928), the Federation of Sewage and Industrial Wastes Associations (1950), and the Water Pollution Control Federation (1960); the name was changed to the Water Environment Federation in 1991 to reflect an expanded focus of non-point and point sources of pollution.
WEF Job Openings
At WEF we offer our employees an outstanding benefits package designed to assist the employee, and any eligible dependents, in meeting the financial burdens that can result from illness, disability, and death, and to help employees plan for retirement, deal with job-related or personal problems, and enhance job-related skills. In 2015 WEF was recognized by the Washington Post as one of the top 150 workplaces in the greater metropolitan region.
WEF standard benefits include:
- Flexible Leave Bank for Vacation, Illness, Etc.
- Paid Holidays
- Medical & Dental Insurance
- Short and Long Term Disability Insurance
- Life and AD&D Insurance
- Long Term Care Insurance
- Employee Assistance Program
- 401K Plan
- Tuition Reimbursement Program
- Flexible Spending Accounts Plan
- Mandated Benefits
- Parking/Transportation Subsidies
- Group Banking Benefits
- Credit Union Affiliation
- Direct Deposit
- Travel Insurance
WEF policies and benefits may be altered or changed without notice.
WEFGlobal's mission is to identify, develop and manage opportunities for WEF and its members to actively participate in educational, policy, technology, economic, and information sharing forums that affect the global water environment.
WEF promotes better management of water resources within the U.S. and abroad through participation at international wastewater conferences and meetings. Global water events are just one part of WEF’s efforts to address the worldwide concerns of conserving water and managing the water supply and quality, issues that require a global perspective and the understanding that water use in varying sectors is interdependent.
Numerous connections with international organizations help to increase WEF’s presence and our potential to promote Integrated Water Resource Management (IWRM) on a global scale, which includes relationships with two important bodies in the United Nations. Follow the links above to learn more about our global water projects and to view upcoming water industry events. Clean water is important to the world's future and integrated water resource management is vital to providing global solutions.