Campbell Scientific - Model WINDSONIC1-L - 2-D Sonic Wind Sensor with RS-232 Output
The WindSonic1 is a two-dimensional ultrasonic anemometer for measuring wind direction and speed. It provides an alternative to traditional mechanical cup and vane or propeller and vane anemometers. This sonic wind sensor outputs an RS-232 signal that can be directly read by a compatible Campbell Scientific data logger. (See the Compatibility section.) The Windsonic1 is not recommended for conditions where rime, ice, or horizontal snow will occur. This sensor is not heated. Please contact Campbell Scientific for information on a heated 2-D sonic anemometer that will work in these conditions. Note: The mounting equipment supplied with this sensor may vary depending on which Campbell Scientific regional office the sensor is ordered from.
The WindSonic1 uses two pairs of orthogonally oriented transducers to sense the horizontal wind. The transducers bounce the ultrasonic signal from a hood, thus minimizing the effects of transducer shadowing and flow distortion.
Unlike mechanical anemometers, the WindSonic1 has no moving parts to be periodically replaced—minimizing routine maintenance costs.
Four WindSonic1 anemometers can be connected to a single CR1000, CR3000, CR300, CR310, CR6, or CR1000X datalogger. Two WindSonic1 anemometers can be connected to a single CR800 or CR850 datalogger.
- Low maintenance—no moving parts significantly reduces maintenance cost and time
- Provides a minimum detectable wind speed of 0.01 meters per second
- Compatible with the SDM-SIO1A, which increases the number of sensors one data logger can measure
- General (Rain with light snow. Little or no riming or blowing sand. No salt spray.)
- Extreme (Blowing sand. Very little maintenance required. Will handle salt spray.)
- Sensor: 2-dimensional ultrasonic anemometer
- Measurement Description: Wind speed and direction
- Input Voltage: 9 to 30 Vdc
- Typical Current Drain: ~15 mA (continuous)
- Operating Humidity Range: < 5% to 100% RH
- Operating Temperature Range: -35° to +70°C
- Storage Temperature Range: -40° to +80°C
- Measurement Frequency: 40 Hz block averaged to a 1 Hz output frequency
- Outputs Parameters: Polar (direction and speed) or orthogonal (Ux and Uy wind)
- Output Signal: RS-232
- Maximum Cable Capacitance: 2500 pF
- Maximum Cable Length: 15.24 m (50 ft)
- For configurations requiring longer cable lengths, consider using the WindSonic4-L 2-D Sonic Wind Sensor with SDI-12 Output instead, or contact Campbell Scientific for other options.
- Diameter: 14.2 cm (5.6 in.)
- Length: 16.0 cm (16.3 in.)
- Weight: 0.5 kg (1.1 lb)
- Range: 0º to 359° (no dead band)
- Accuracy: ±3°
- Resolution: 1°
- Range: 0 to 60 m/s
- Accuracy: ±2% (@ 12 m s-1)
- Resolution: 0.01 m/s