Contaminated Land Software
Mapping potentially contaminated sites will for most authorities, result in the generation of large amounts of data. This information will be used for a variety of purposes including prioritizing sites, informing colleagues (i.e. planners, valuers, housing officers), reporting to the Environment Agency and communicating risk to the professional and general public. The data resource will also form the basis of an historical land use archive which will be used for many years to come. It is therefore important that a robust and flexible Data Management System (DBMS) is employed for managing this data.
The Information Management System must be:
- capable of logging all information provided with respect to individual areas of land
- able to tag information type (e.g. commercially confidential, subject to national security constraints, etc.)
- capable of being audited to ensure that any information held is both accurately recorded and up to date
In addition, Local Authorities will need to consider how they will give all relevant departments and third parties (i.e. Environment Agency, members of the public, etc) access to the data, as well as whether their public registers will be in electronic or paper form.
The GeoEnviron Contaminated Land module fulfils all the requirements for a DBMS.
What are the benefits of implementing GeoEnviron?
Some of the major benefits you will realize from implementing the GeoEnviron Contaminated Land Module (also called the Site Module) are described below.
- GeoEnviron comes with a simple to use, robust and transparent two stage site prioritisation system. Stage 1 can be carried out rapidly (provided source and receptor information is available) and produces an 'Inspection Priority List'. Stage 2, which is carried out after priority sites have been inspected and detailed information collected, produces an 'Action Priority List'.
- GeoEnviron comes with extensive, user friendly GIS integration capabilities. You can choose between a specially tailored embedded GIS or a seamless integration to external GIS programs such as ArcGIS, GeoMap, or MapInfo Professional.
- GeoEnviron allows you to reliably and efficiently manage all the data you are likely to collect. Data (i.e. reports, digital images, sample analyses, borehole logs, etc) can be entered directly into the database or linked to using the system’s extensive document management facilities.
- GeoEnviron includes integration to standard word processors, e-mail and spreadsheet programs such as Microsoft Word (for mail merging), Outlook (for sending emails) and Excel (for data import/export).
- GeoEnviron includes workflow management tools with which you can timetable inspection and action programmes. A calendar is also included to assist you in managing your case load and to ensure that you stay on schedule with your strategy implementation.
- GeoEnviron comes with a powerful decision support system in the form of detailed information on industry profiles, hazardous contaminants and remediation technologies.
- GeoEnviron's powerful data import/export facilities mean that it is a painless process getting data into and out of the system.
Technical (IT) Benefits
- GeoEnviron features top level security standards that allow for the creation of user accounts with different types of access to the database (i.e. readuser, writeuser, system administrator etc). Furthermore, data within individual tables can be tagged to indicate its level of confidentiality and each user given appropriate access privileges.
- GeoEnviron is using high performance databases (Microsoft SQL Server or Sybase) to deliver simple to use, but powerful SQL querying capabilities.
- GeoEnviron is highly scalable. It can be installed either as a client/server system in a multi-user environment or on a workstation in for a single user.
- GeoEnviron is E-GIF compliant allowing for effective sharing of data in the database with internal colleagues and the public via an intranet or the internet. GeoEnviron Web solutions are ideal if you are considering implementing an internal search tool for planners or an on-line public register. They not only remove the worries associated with arrangements for public access but in addition, give you more control over the information accessed, save you time; and help you contribute to meeting your authority's e-government targets!
- GeoEnviron can easily be integrated with other databases in the department via ODBC or XML.
- GeoEnviron includes an automated database backup program that ensures that loss if data in the event of system failure is minimized. It also has extensive facilities for recording meta-data, thereby easing the task of data auditing.
The GeoEnviron Contaminated Land Module has now been implemented by over 100 local authorities across Europe and SE-Asia. Contact us to arrange for a free demonstration so that you can see for yourself how you can benefit from using GeoEnviron in implementing your strategy.