AMETEK is a leading global manufacturer of electric motors and electronic instruments. Pressure transducers and transmitters. Level measurement instruments and systems.
AMETEK Process Instruments is a worldwide manufacturer of process analyzers and instrumentation. The markets we serve are ever expanding. They include:
- power generation
- metals refining and production
- pharmaceutical research and manufacturing
- natural gas
- refining and petrochemicals
- semiconductor chip manufacturing
- air separation and industrial gas production
- combustion control for boilers and process heaters
- glass manufacturing
- thermal oxidizer control
- pulp & paper production
- environmental and pollution monitoring
- fuel cell research
- glass manufacturing
- and many others
Our engineering and manufacturing activities take place in several North American facilities. We have direct sales and service offices scattered around the globe, as well as a wide network of factory-trained manufacturer’s representatives, distributors, and service technicians. A Business Unit of the Process & Analytical Instruments division of AMETEK, Inc., we are part of a multinational corporation with over $2 billion (U.S.) in annual revenue.
At AMETEK Process Instruments, we focus our experience on designing new, innovative analyzers that help our customers achieve higher levels of productivity and quality. We do this by seeking out ways to overcome the limitations of current methods of process monitoring, control, and quality assurance. It is through this focus that we have created some of the most unique and capable technologies in the world.
Our primary focus in analyzer design is reliability. We understand that you must have confidence that the analyzer will provide the correct information when you need it. It is a documented fact that many of our analyzers have been in service for well over 20 years.
Our core competencies include widely varying applications and industries such as:
- Sulfur recovery processes
- Coal fired power generation
- Combustion / process heating
- Pharmaceutical solvent drying processes
- Pollution / emissions monitoring
- Monitoring of mammalian cell cultures and fermentation
- Natural gas processing and transmission
- Refining and petrochemical processes
- Heat treating atmosphere monitoring / control
- Vacuum analysis / residual gas analysis
- Analysis of moisture in hydrocarbon gases and high purity gases
- Contamination monitoring of high and ultra high purity gases
- Quality monitoring of gas and liquid feed-stocks and products
- Reaction monitoring
- Chemical composition analysis of gases and liquids
Our product technologies currently include:
- UV, Vis, and IR process analyzers
- Tunable Diode Laser Absorption
- Process moisture analyzers based upon electrolytic and quartz crystal technologies
- Residual gas analyzers
- Process mass spectrometers
- Manual and on-line chilled-mirror dew point analyzers
- Zirconia oxygen analyzers for combustion control, furnace atmosphere control, air/fuel mixing control, and trace oxygen analysis
- Gas chromatographs
- Gas gravitometers
- Liquid densitometers
We maintain our knowledgeable positions in these markets because we strive to know, understand, and meet each customer's needs. We manufacture over a dozen, application-specific analyzers for the sulfur recovery industry alone. We provide technical training seminars and publish technical information in support of our customers' efforts to understand and improve the operations of their facilities.
At AMETEK Process Instruments, we understand that no single solution is applicable to all applications or processes. We maintain the capability to understand and evaluate your unique needs and applications. If a pre-engineered solution does not meet your needs, we will custom-design a solution for you based upon one of our unique technologies. We pride ourselves on our ability, and willingness, to produce unique analyzers and solutions for our customers.
We routinely design and manufacture sample handling and conditioning systems for use with our analyzers. In addition, we design cabinets and shelters to meet any environmental concerns or considerations. We have done it all from a simple instrument to a million dollar, multi-analyzer shelter for use in hazardous locations.
Our customer commitment continues well beyond start-up and commissioning of the analyzers. AMETEK Process Instruments has over 100 factory-trained service technicians worldwide to support our customers' needs. Moreover, we offer a wide variety of service plans to meet their needs. AMETEK Service Assistance Program (ASAP) plans range from pre-paid routine maintenance visits, to 24 hour per day 365 day per year phone support, to 24 hour on-site support for emergency service visits. We have the commitment and the resources necessary to support our customers anywhere in the world. You can find more information about our service and training capabilities within the Service section of this web site.
AMETEK Process Instruments product brands are synonymous with unrivaled reliability and premium quality.
Roots trace back to 1962 when the Model 400 Photometric Analyzer was first sold commercially as part of custom-designed solutions for the chemical and petrochemical industries. In 1967, Thermox pioneered the use of zirconium oxide for combustion oxygen measurement. Thermox was once again on the leading edge of combustion control in 1979 when it introduced combined oxygen and combustibles measurement in one overall combustion analyzer.
Additional milestones in the brand history include:
- The acquisition of Dycor’s mass spectrometer technology in 1986
- The acquisition of Process Instruments and its moisture and UV-Vis technologies from DuPont in 1989
- The acquisition of Western Research’s UV and on-line chilled mirror technologies in 1998
- The introduction of the Proline bench-top process mass spectrometer in 2002
- The merger of the Thermox and Process Instruments business units in 2002
- The introduction of the Promaxion industrial process mass spectrometer in 2003
- The acquisition of Chandler Engineering’s Pipeline Products for natural gas quality monitoring in 2003
- The acquisition of Trace Analytical’s gas chromatography technology for gas purity monitoring in 2004
- The acquisition of LAND Instruments by AMETEK Process and Analytical Instruments division in 2006
- The merger of the SPECTRO ASOMA x-ray products in 2009
AMETEK Process Instruments provides integrated analytical measurement systems for a variety of industries each with its own specific requirements. We have system integration production capabilities at our Calgary, Newark and Pittsburgh facilities. Factory acceptance tests (FAT) for a comprehensive scope of analysers can be supported from any one of our locations.
Hydrocarbon Processing Industry
Analyzer integration requirements for HPC applications varies from simple weather protection for a close coupled analyzer, to wall hung or ground mounted cabinets, to full walk in analyzer houses with HVAC and fire & gas systems. AMETEK Process Instruments manufactures according to NEC, IEC, ATEX and GOST hazardous protection area codes depending on end use country and customer requirements. AMETEK Process Instruments specializes in sulfur recovery applications where analyzer system design cannot be left to chance or standard design, the system is delivered with a single guarantee from sample tap to output. AMETEK integrates third party analyzers from a variety of analyzer suppliers.
Natural Gas Quality Measurement
Natural gas quality monitoring frequently requires analysis of more than one impurity. AMETEK offers standard, as well as custom designed combinations of analysers and provides convenient turnkey packages. A typical natural gas quality measurement package includes hydrocarbon dew point (Model 241CE II), moisture (Model 5100 TDLAS or Model 3050) and H2S (Model 933) monitoring equipment. An example of specific custom solutions is a multi-point moisture analyzer system using our QCM or TDLAS analyzers for gas dehydration control. A global network of trained and experienced AMETEK service staff are available for commissioning and training to ensure a successful start up of all AMETEK supplied equipment.
Continuous Emission Monitoring Systems (CEMS)
Engineered solutions for Continuous Emission Monitoring systems (CEMs) process and environmental monitoring. Multi component systems, extractive dry-dilution, extractive hot-wet, mass emission, rack mounted, wall mounted, hazardous area or general purpose. AMETEK has experience with many application specific CEMs for sulfur recovery, tail gas clean up, residual H2S in stack gas, sulfuric acid mist and non contact O2 for wet or corrosive streams.
Ultra High Purity (UHP) Gases and Semiconductor
Semiconductor and UHP gas applications are another world as compared to any other application. The challenges include; maintaining sample integrity, reducing contamination, increasing speed of response and validation at single digit to sub ppb levels. AMETEK Process Instruments manufactures a wide variety of UHP analysers that measure trace impurities like HC, CO, CO2, H2, moisture and O2 as well as residual gas analyzers (RGA). AMETEK Process Instruments can provide full integration for both mobile and fixed systems in any combination in standard packages or customized configurations.
Pharmaceutical and Biotechnology
Pharmaceutical and Biotech unit operations require that measurements be taken over a wide range of pressures and temperatures. AMETEK has designed specific inlet systems for the both the manufacturing floor and the research lab. We can arrange for complete installations including heated sample lines or work with third party contractors to make installation as smooth as possible. Availability of IQ/OQ documentation ensures a trouble-free validation process.