BioMicrobics manufactures innovative, advanced wastewater treatment systems, septic system alternative products, and stormwater treatment that provide ideal solutions and water reuse opportunities for single-family & multi-family homes, clustered subdivisions, small communities and commercial properties around the world.
Find locations served, office locations and our distributors . Or browse our memberships .
- Business Type:
- Industry Type:
- Water Treatment
- Market Focus:
- Globally (various continents)
- Year Founded:
- $10,000,000 US - $100,000,000 US
This company also provides solutions for other industrial applications.
Please, visit the following links for more info:
Better Water. Better World.
BioMicrobics is at the forefront of onsite wastewater treatment, with options for residential & commercial applications, from 250 GPD to 0.25 MGD.
Simple to install, simple to operate, anywhere in the world. Our award-winning solutions adhere to global standards for onsite wastewater treatment.
BioMicrobics systems are cost-effective, with pre-engineered technologies that reduce the cost of life-cycle operation and maintenance.
Our systems are made to last in the harshest environments, from the Alaskan tundra to the forests of Paraguay, from Kenya to China and beyond.
BioMicrobics is a leader in advanced wastewater, greywater & stormwater treatment systems. Our award-winning systems are certified to global standards. BioMicrobics solutions are pre-engineered, pre-packaged, and scalable. We ship around the world.
High performance, low maintenance, energy efficient
Along with subsidiaries Scienco/FAST and SeptiTech, our goal is to produce simple, low cost, and robust products that deliver high performance, low maintenance and energy efficient treatment systems. With a growing global distributor network, BioMicrobics brings together global projects and partners to provide a high-quality, turnkey, client-focused service from design through to commissioning. We are committed to providing our distributors’ clients with the highest standards of excellence not only in product delivery, but also after-sales service.
The water challenges facing the world fall into three categories: 1) Knowing the regional scarcity of water; 2) Building a resilient infrastructure for the onsite management of water; 3) Doing all in a way with “FITT-for-purpose” technologies that are affordable. BioMicrobics focuses on Fixed Integrated Treatment Technologies, 'FITT' for the purpose intended.
Established in 1996, BioMicrobics is a global leader of advanced wastewater, water, greywater, and stormwater treatment systems serving diverse markets. With distributors in more than 80 countries and more than 80,000 installations worldwide, we provide end-clients with high-performance technology solutions for removing 90-99.9% of contaminants from wastewater.
Our approach is unique in the decentralized wastewater industry as it adopts a total integrated water management strategy to develop solutions that maximize benefits and minimize life-cycle costs. As a solutions-driven company, we are committed to ongoing research and development of new and improved products. Our latest award-winning products includes secondary and tertiary treatment systems such as FAST, STAAR, RollsAIR, and BioBarrier, as well as d-Rain Joint™, SaniTEE, FogHOG, LIXOR, Mighty Mike, BioSTORM, SciCHLOR, and our SciBRINE products. Our commitment to the continuous improvement of our products and services is integral to our total solutions approach.
Advanced Wastewater Treatment Systems
- Type II MSDs
- Extended Aeration
- Trickling Filter
Other Treatment & Water Recycling Systems
- Res/Comm Greywater Treatment & Reuse
- Screening Devices & GREASE/FOG Control
- Water Treatment (hypochlorite, PAA, brinemakers)
- Stormwater/Rainwater Filtration Treatment
Environmentally-Friendly Cleaners & Products
- Biodegradable Cleaners & Detergents
- Rated Marine-Safe Products
- Continuous “water-feed” Descalers
- Bacteria Augmentation/BioRemediation
- Bond-SORB™ Odor Eliminator
BioMicrobics has been recognized with a 2012 Presidential “E” Award and 2016 Presidential “E Star” Award for Excellence in Exporting. BioMicrobics has also received the 2017 'North American Integrated Water Treatment Technology Leadership” Award from the Best Practices Team and Frost & Sullivan and received a 2017 Top 10 Green-Building Product Award from BuildingGreen, Inc. for our d-Rain Joint Device.
Product Certifications & Awards
BioMicrobics has more 3rd party testing and technology awards than any other in the industry
BioMicrobics is a leading manufacturer of decentralized water treatment technology. BioMicrobics water, wastewater, greywater, and stormwater treatment systems provide multiple environmental benefits. Each system is designed and engineered with sustainability and user practicality in mind.
BioMicrobics conducts Training events at the Global Headquarters located in Lenexa, Kansas:
- Treatment Process of Product Line
- Design & Installation Techniques
- System Design Examples
- Septic System Best Practices
- Utilization of Website Tools
- Question & Answer Inquiries
- Technical Support
Wastewater Treatment Independent Third-Party Testing
Verification programs/locations in which BioMicrobics installed a Wastewater Treatment System for analysis of performance:
- Florida OWNRS (Onsite Wastewater Nitrogen Reduction Study) Phases I and II
- New Mexico State/New Mexico University
- University of Rhode Island
- Buzzards Bay, MA
- Ventura County, CA
- La Pine, OR
- Burnette, WA
- University of Miami, Autonomous NetZero Water
- …and more!
Wastewater Treatment Certifications & Third-Party Testing
- NSF (National Sanitation Foundation International)/ANSI Standard 40, Class 1 Certified – MicroFAST® 0.5, 0.625, 0.75, 0.9, 1.5; SeptiTech® STAAR™ 0.5, 0.75, 1.0, 1.2, 1.5; and BioBarrier® MBR 0.5, 1.0, 1.5 for residential wastewater treatment systems having rated capacities between 400 gallons (1514 Liters) and 1500 gallons (5678 Liters) per day. This is demonstrated during a 6-month (26 weeks) test where wastewater of required strength is subjected to the system at the rated capacity of the system as evenly dosed at periods prescribed by the standard. The effluent criteria required of a Class I system is based on the U.S. EPA secondary effluent treatment requirements for municipal treatment facilities. The system must also meet minimum requirements for structural integrity, leakage, noise, electrical certification, access ports, failure sensing and signaling equipment (visual and audible alarms), flow design, data plate and service labels.
- NSF/ANSI Standard 245 (Nitrogen Reduction) Certified – MicroFAST® 0.5, 0.625, 0.75, 0.9, 1.5; SeptiTech® STAAR™ 0.5, 0.75, 1.0, 1.2, 1.5; and BioBarrier® MBR 0.5, 1.0, 1.5 developed for residential wastewater treatment systems designed to provide for nitrogen reduction. The evaluation involves 6-months of performance testing, incorporating stress tests to simulate wash day, working parent, power outage, and vacation conditions. Technologies testing against Standard 245 must either be Standard 40 certified. A treatment system must meet the following effluent concentrations averaged over the course of the testing period in order to meet Standard 245:
- CBOD5 – 25 mg/L
- TSS – 30 mg/L
- Total Nitrogen – at least a 50% average of influent TKN
- pH – 6.0 to 9.0 SU
- NSF/ANSI tested for bacterial reduction of fecal coliform – MicroFAST® 0.5, 0.625, 0.75, 0.9, 1.5; SeptiTech® STAAR™ 0.5, 0.75, 1.0, 1.2, 1.5; and BioBarrier® 0.5, 1.0, & 1.5
- NSF/ANSI Standard 350, Class R (Water Reuse) Certified (BioBarrier® 0.5, 1.0, & 1.5 and BioBarrier® 0.5-N, 1.0-N, & 1.5-N, the FIRST system to achieve this Standard!) – Developed for residential wastewater (total blackwater and greywater) treatment systems designed to provide for water reuse onsite. The evaluation involves 6-months of performance testing, incorporating stress tests to simulate wash day, working parent, power outage, and vacation conditions. With a key focus on public health and appropriate water quality criteria for reuse applications; this is the first standard of its type for comprehensive evaluation of water reuse technologies, spanning residential and commercial applications. Technologies testing against Standard 350 must meet Standard 40 and 245 prior to testing.
- EN 12566-3, PIA GmbH, Packaged and/or site assembled domestic wastewater treatment plants for up to 50 People – FITT®-ee, BioBarrier® MBR, the Prüfinstitut für Abwassertechnik GmbH (PIA GmbH) has been approved as a testing institute for small wastewater treatment plants according to the Building Products Act and is indicated in the lists of the European Union as notified body 1739.
- Compliance with Canadian National Standards and BNQ (Bureau de Normalisation du Québec) Test, Canada, Installations must comply with the Q-2, r.22 regulation in accordance with NQ 3680-910 standard
- USEPA Secondary Treatment Effluent Standards – Type II Marine Sewage Devices (MSDs) requiring 85% removal, 30 BOD5, 30 TSS secondary treatment, 3 months internal sludge storage, and derate by 10% for dilute sewage
- US EPA – ETV (US Environmental Protection Agency – Environmental Technology Verification) – RetroFAST® 0.150, 0.250, & 0.375; SeptiTech® STAAR™; and MarineFAST® (USEPA secondary – 85% removal, 30 BOD5, 30 TSS) Develops testing procedures and validates the performance of technology that may improve the protection of the environment, including water and wastewater. ETV accelerates the introduction of environmental technologies in the market, as well as monitoring and treatment technology for homeland security.
- Massachusetts Title 5 Innovative and Alternative (I/A) System General Use Approval rating for Nitrogen Reduction – The first system to receive this distinction! Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection (MA DEP) – (FAST®
Marine Technology Certifications and other Technology Approvals
- Scienco/FAST has been awarded USCG and Transport Canada certifications for MARPOL configuration FAST systems using peracetic acid (PAA) as the disinfectant. MarineFAST® units to include a PAA feeder allows units needing to meet International Maritime Organization MARPOL standards.
- IMO (International Maritime Organization) – MARPOL 73/78 (50 BOD5, 50 TSS, 250 fecal) and MARPOL 2010 (25 BOD5, 35 TSS, 125 COD, 100 fecal) sets international standards for seafarers’ certificates of competency to prevent danger to others on board, the marine environment and themselves.
- MEPC.159(55) and MEPC.227(64) – 25 mg/l BOD5, 35 mg/l TSS, 125 mg/l COD and 100 coliform/100 ml, chlorine residual < 0.5 mg/l – no dilution required. Scienco/FAST has been awarded USCG and Transport Canada certifications for MARPOL configuration FAST® & MarineMBR™ systems using peracetic acid (PAA) as the disinfectant. Scienco/FAST units to include a PAA feeder allows units needing to meet International Maritime Organization (IMO) MARPOL standards.
- USCG, IMO and Revised G8 Type approved Ballast Water Management System
- NSF/ANSI/CAN 61: Drinking Water System Components – Drinking water system components that are used in centralized water treatment plants and water distribution systems up through the water meter are typically regulated by state or provincial drinking water agencies. The Scienco® SciCHLOR® Sodium hypochlorite (bleach) is used in a variety of applications, particularly in disinfecting drinking water/wastewater treatment and Food/Beverage operations.
Other Product & Electrical Certifications
- ETL and RoHS Compliant – Intertek Testing Services evaluates control panels to meet the standard equivalent to the requirements set by Intertek and equivalent to UL (Underwriters Laboratories). Periodic checks are performed to assure consistent compliance of the product and in compliance with both Canadian and U.S. requirements.
- CE – European Electrical Systems (including a “Tropical Certification Rating”) The European (EN) standards by adopting universal requirements to cover all of Europe and promote the free movement of goods within Europe. When products have been shown to meet the essential requirements of the directive or EN standard the product is available for sale anywhere in the European market.
- CSA (Canadian Standards Association) Electrical Certification – CSA International and the International Association of Electrical Inspectors (IAEI), the Electrical Safety Foundation International (ESFI), Health Canada, provincial regulators, and the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) to promote standards for consumer safety in North America and around the world. CSA testing is accepted by key conformity assessment organizations in the U.S. including IAPMO and ASSE. Tested and meets applicable standards for safety and/or performance, including the applicable standards written or administered by the American National Standards Institute (ANSI), Underwriters Laboratories (UL), Canadian Standards Association (CSA), National Sanitation Foundation International (NSF), and others.
- PDI (Plumbing & Drainage Institute) Certified – FOGHog® Fat Oil & Grease Interceptor FH-20 & FH-50 promotes the advancement of innovative plumbing products through research, product requirements, and publicity. PDI preserves testing equipment in independent testing laboratories to assure compliance with Standard PDI-WH201 and, for grease interceptors, Standard PDI-G101.
- Quality Control Stormwater Testing Statement: BioSTORM® – ALL SIZES – Stormwater treatment system demonstrates more than 90% removal efficiency of the TSS removal capabilities with silica sand particle size distribution closer to the NJDEP sizing (current stormwater guidelines). As Stormwater regulations continue to emerge, the BioSTORM® proves to be highly effective at managing storm water runoff.
- Certified 97% biodegradable, Japan Food Research Labs, the botanical formula of Mighty Mike® Laundry Detergent, Mighty Mike® All-Purpose Cleaner, & Mighty Mike® Multi-Purpose Marine Cleaner are Rated safe for use around lakes, streams and oceans. (Also, tested by SGS Testing Labs & Clemson University School of Textiles)
Recent Company and Technology Awards
- 2020 Global Decentralized Water & Wastewater Treatment Company of the Year! – Frost & Sullivan Institute
- 2019 Top 10 Wastewater Management Solution Provider, Utilities Outlook Magazine
- 2017 North American “Integrated Water Treatment Technology Leadership” Award, Frost & Sullivan
- 2017 Top 10 Green Building Products, BuildingGreen, Inc.- d-Rain Joint™ Device
- 2016 Presidential “E Star” Award * 2012 President’s “E” Award for Excellence in Exports, granted by President of the United States, presented by US Dept of Commerce
- 2015 Ingenuity Award Winner, Ingenuity Central @ K-State Olathe, Ingenuity Central (IC) showcases innovative companies that exemplify the newest thinking driving our community & growing our economy.
- 2015 Innovation in Marine Environmental Technology Offshore Excellence Award, based on environmental impact with marine sanitation devices and technology.
- 2014 “BEST of GreenBuild” Editor’s Choice Award, U.S. Builder’s Review, “Creating Better Water Treatment Solutions for a Better World…“article.
- 2012 Presidential “E” Award for Excellence in Exports, granted by the U.S. President, presented by the U.S. Department of Commerce
- 2011 Kansas Governor Exporter of the Year, presented by the Governor of Kansas
- 2011 North American Technology Innovation Award (Decentralized Commercial Outlets) – Frost & Sullivan
- 2011 New Product of the Year Award (Recycling) – BioBarrier® MBR System – Environmental Protection (EPOnline)
- 2010 North American Technology Innovation Award (Water/Wastewater) – Frost & Sullivan
- 2009 Exporter of the Year Award, Environmental – ThinkGlobal / Commercial News USA (Official publication of the U.S. Dept. of Commerce)
- 2009 Technology Merit Business Achievement Award, Water/Wastewater – Environmental Business Journal (EBJ)
- 2002 U.S. Export Achievement Certificate, US Dept. of Commerce, US & Foreign Commercial Service
- 2000 U.S. EPA Environmental Technology Innovator Award – U.S. EPA, Region 1 – SeptiTech® Technology
Standards for green building programs
The guidelines for most Green-Building Programs have a section for Water Efficiency the use of Innovative Wastewater Treatment Systems: Integrated Resource Management approach that controls the consumption, reduce water intensive applications, provide onsite treatment, capture/use alternate water sources (rainwater, greywater, and blackwater), and opportunities for smarter irrigation practices, etc. By providing guidelines for Water Efficiency, the incentives and adoption of onsite water recycling systems can provide the goals of better water management and sustainable building practices. Other areas that we can help satisfy are Sustainable Site points and Innovative Design:
Programs such as LEED® (USGBC and World GBC), Green Globes® (Green Building Initiative), Nabers / Green Star / Green Building Architecture (Australia), AQUA (Brazil), GBAS (China), SBToolCZ (Czech Republic), PromisE (Finland), HQE (France), DGNB / CEPHEUS (Germany), HKBEAM (Hong Kong), GRIHA (India), Greenship (Indonesia), Protocollo Itaca (Italy), CASBEE (Japan), Netherlands BREEAM (Netherlands), Green Star NZ (New Zealand), IAPGSA (Pakistan), BERDE (Philippines), Lider A / SBToolPT® (Portugal), QASA (Qatar), Green Mark (Singapore), Green Star SA (South Africa), VERDE (Spain), Minergie (Switzerland), BREEAM (United Kingdom), Estidama (United Arab Emirates), yesilbina (Turkey), TREES (Thailand), LOTUS Rating Tools (Vietnam).